New chicken being bullied

Lottie Pops

Hatching
Jun 11, 2017
I only have a small flock of 2. One girl, Mel, is around 6 years old, not sure on the breed but we are sure she has some buff Orpington in her. Our other girl sadly passed away recently. They were best friends and Mel was clearly sad after she passed.

We thought the best thing to do would be to get a new girl, Tilly, to take Mels mind off things. However, it's not going so well at all. With our last girl, we introduced them and it only took them a couple of days to start dustbathing together and hanging out all the time.

We did the usual and kept Tilly behind a fence for a few days and then put her into the coop with Mel at night. However, when they are let into the run, Mel just stands at the door and doesn't let Tilly come out. When she does manage to venture out for some food, Mel just pecks her and jumps on her back. I know that this has to happen to establish the order, but it doesn't appear to be letting up. I've tried distracting Mel but that only works for so long and she just goes back to attacking Tilly. They free range together fine, but never actually stand with each other and Mel will just occasionally run after Tilly.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can help? I just want them to be friends, and it's heartbreaking to see Tilly being attacked every 5 minutes.

Apologies for the long post!! But thanks in advance.

I only have a small flock of 2. One girl, Mel, is around 6 years old, not sure on the breed but we are sure she has some buff Orpington in her. Our other girl sadly passed away recently. They were best friends and Mel was clearly sad after she passed.

We thought the best thing to do would be to get a new girl, Tilly, to take Mels mind off things. However, it's not going so well at all. With our last girl, we introduced them and it only took them a couple of days to start dustbathing together and hanging out all the time.

We did the usual and kept Tilly behind a fence for a few days and then put her into the coop with Mel at night. However, when they are let into the run, Mel just stands at the door and doesn't let Tilly come out. When she does manage to venture out for some food, Mel just pecks her and jumps on her back. I know that this has to happen to establish the order, but it doesn't appear to be letting up. I've tried distracting Mel but that only works for so long and she just goes back to attacking Tilly. They free range together fine, but never actually stand with each other and Mel will just occasionally run after Tilly.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can help? I just want them to be friends, and it's heartbreaking to see Tilly being attacked every 5 minutes.

Apologies for the long post!! But thanks in advance.
My Great Aunt allowed her Grand Daughter to come move in with her---in a couple of days---they were arguing----different ages, being new and etc just doesn't work out good most of the times. They might start getting alone at the expense of the younger getting pecked on a lot. Your set-up and Mine are different---I never mix the young and old because the old are sold soon after they get 2+ yrs old, Then the new, become the old----I never have to watch the Old die this way and I always have good layers---But They are not my pets Like I am sure yours are. Time Might make it work for you! Good Luck

Put Mel in a cage in the coop, where she can see Tilly, for a couple days. Plan to spend some time in the coop/run on the day you let Mel out. Break up any bullying after a minute. When you see Mel standing at the door, to jump Tilly, chase her away, and let Tilly out.

Welcome to BYC!

Switch up who is where. Put the old one behind the fence and let the new one wander the coop and run. Put both behind the fence and then both in the coop/run area.
Chicken Juggling!

How big are the separate areas that you have?
Pics would help.
Do you free range at all?

Welcome to BYC!

Switch up who is where. Put the old one behind the fence and let the new one wander the coop and run. Put both behind the fence and then both in the coop/run area.
Chicken Juggling!
I have done this when reintroducing a hen that was broody---catch/new location any one of them that pecks the returned hen and in a couple days I might return one and the next day another to that pen, etc. Seems to Work good for me and mine.

Back
Top Bottom