New Chicken bullying!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by axelsangel, Sep 11, 2013.

1. axelsangel

axelsangel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    South Carolina
    We just took in 2 Barred Rock hens that are 3 years old, we took them in for a friend that was having issues with their dog killing their chickens they had 10 but now only had these 2 left so I took them in so they wouldn't get killed by the dog or any other predator. When we finally put them in with our 8 hens which are between the ages of 18-21wks old they sparred off with some my dominant ones and of course they are bigger so now mine are scared of them. Well now the 2 news one won't let my 8 near the food or the water. Will they ever get use to each other and get along? Is there anything I can do to make them more comfortable together? Im clueless as to what to do. To make sure that my 8 get to eat and drink I go out there a few times a day and lock the 2 new ones up in the coop with some water so my 8 can eat and drink in peace. Any help would be appreciated.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sometimes flock integration is accomplished in an uneventful fashion. Generally there are problems - chicken society/pecking order can be very harsh. Make sure that blood is not being drawn, provide feed and water in multiple locations and let them work things out.

3. axelsangel

axelsangel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    South Carolina
    I have put out 2 extra dishes of food. We have the nipple watering system so I put out a pot of water on the other end of the run. Hopefully they will start getting along soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by