new chicken coop need help locating a part

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hensgottalove30, Nov 7, 2012.

  1. hensgottalove30

    hensgottalove30 New Egg

    Oct 4, 2012
    Ok just finished my new chicken coop need help locating a part ive made my nest boxes and the way i made it i need a reverse hing to keep the kids from getting closed on there fingers a hing that will let the top go slowly down im not sure what it really is called but like a spring screen door hing just reversed springed
  2. barnaclebob

    barnaclebob Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 24, 2012
    Kids will learn, I wouldn't worry about it.
  3. chfite

    chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    In the furniture world, that would be a soft close hinge. Used for toy boxes and such, it helps prevent the lid slamming on fingers. It would be cheaper to make a lighter door. These soft close hinges are for interior use and may not last outdoors.,41427

    As an alternative, you could take a hinge with spring such as is used to close screen door and install it backwards so that the door had to be forcefully closed to latch. That might be a better solution.


BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by