New chicken family....new coop

Chitown_Mike

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2019
I've been handy with building things since I was a kid and helped my pops and uncle to deconstruct, frame out walls and doors, and hang sheetrock.

Well some friends of the family were getting rid of 5 chickens and a small coop. Very small coop. I think the inside is about 10 sq ft and the run is maybe double that for 5 grown chickens.

Well I decided we needed a bigger coop, so off to the store I went with a plan in mind after perusing this forum for about 2 weeks. Going to be a run-under-coop design that will have the run space of 14' x 4' and a coop size of 4' x 6' not including any nesting boxes or higher level roosting bars and maybe a small removable 2nd level, since the roof will be plenty tall.

Going with a side slant roof instead of a pointed one since the way the trees are in the yard and with the deck I didnt feel we needed a slanted one. However that may change as I go to cut the metal roofing. 20190921_162753.jpg 20190921_183456.jpg 20190921_183519.jpg

The run side boards are 2"x10" and the coop posts are 4"x4". Goal is to deep bed the coop and run as well as have the coop flour handle my 250 lb frame when needed. So it may be a BIT over engineered but I would prefer that over the latter and me falling through the floor.

The doors will be tricky since I want the poop door to be integrated into the large door that will give me access to the coop. Or I may just make the door to the coop over the chicken run entrance. Haven't quite decided yet....

The run will be enclosed in hardware cloth and I need to level it out, but will have hardware cloth buried along the 3 exposed sides. Going to take a few weeks as I work weird shifts with what I do, but I enjoy building, my boys enjoy the ability to help (most times), and my wife enjoys having the ladies outnumber the guys in the house finally!

Well I decided we needed a bigger coop,
Good for you!!
Space still might be a bit tight for 5 birds in ChiTown.
I'd slant the roof away from the deck.
..and plan on some wind/snow blocking on run walls.

Beautiful birds!
How old are they?

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @Chitown_Mike

I know you're already a ways into the project, but have you considered possibly making it wider? Not just for the chickens (who need a certain amount of distance to get away from each other if picking/bullying issues arise) but also for your own ability to manuever inside, whether for cleaning or maintenance.

I know you're already a ways into the project, but have you considered possibly making it wider? Not just for the chickens (who need a certain amount of distance to get away from each other if picking/bullying issues arise) but also for your own ability to manuever inside, whether for cleaning or maintenance.

The 5 of them were raised together so and been living in the tiny coop that they are currently hanging in for about 2 1/2 years, plus this will be a big I improvement for them.

As for space I thought about going wider but I had a bunch of left over lumber from a basement renovation project, most of which was either 8 foot beams or cut down. Plan was to put the door at the far end so I just drag the stuff straight forward and out.

Good for you!!
Space still might be a bit tight for 5 birds in ChiTown.
I'd slant the roof away from the deck.
..and plan on some wind/snow blocking on run walls.

Beautiful birds!
How old are they?

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @Chitown_Mike

Plan is to build some wind/snow boards that will hang on the upper end of the run walls to block out the winter some. And the roof is slanting away, I just started cutting the uprights for that today.....except it started to rain.

Big lesson learned is I should have leveled the ground before putting the frame down, which I came to find out it was a big pain to move the frame around, dig, move, dig and finally level.

Got the deck for the coop floor put it and started to cut the beams for the roof when the rain came down and had to tarp up what I could to keep it as dry as I can for the night.

Some asked about space and 5 chickens, I went with the 4 sq ft rule in coop and 10 for the run. However I'm planning on some levels within each area for added space.

Attachments

• 20190922_112623.jpg
    20190922_112623.jpg
    824.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20190922_150052.jpg
    20190922_150052.jpg
    709.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190922_150038.jpg
    20190922_150038.jpg
    702.4 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom