New Chicken Farmer needs help with new babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken farmer MD, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chicken farmer MD

chicken farmer MD New Egg

Mar 31, 2009
    I looked around on the faq, couldn’t find the answer so maybe you guys can help. I have 8 new 81/2 week old RIR in a just built coop. They seem to like the coop, nesting areas, feed and water system, but only 1 or 2 venture out the chicken door to get to the 12x40 enclosed run. Today, I "evicted" all of them, via the chicken door, for about an hour to turn the liter over and do some house keeping, then had to chase them down to get them back in for the night. I got them 3 days ago. Should I allow them to get used to things and let them figure it out, or should I continue to help them outside and inside every couple of days? Thanks for the help

2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Let them stay in the coop for about a week before sending them out again. Give them a chance to identify it as home. After that you can just open the door and their curiosity will eventually get them out. Instinct will get them back in when the sun goes down.

btw, [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  3. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I agree, let them get use to this home and then after about a week or so...they know where home is and will go back in more easily.

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Closed due to duplicate posting... Please offer your helpful suggestions and advice to the OP in this thread . Thanks! ~Lisa~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by