New Chicken Farmer needs help with new babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicken farmer MD

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
I looked around on the faq, couldn’t find the answer so maybe you guys can help. I have 8 new 81/2 week old RIR in a just built coop. They seem to like the coop, nesting areas, feed and water system, but only 1 or 2 venture out the chicken door to get to the 12x40 enclosed run. Today, I "evicted" all of them, via the chicken door, for about an hour to turn the liter over and do some house keeping, then had to chase them down to get them back in for the night. I got them 3 days ago. Should I allow them to get used to things and let them figure it out, or should I continue to help them outside and inside every couple of days? Thanks for the help

Let them stay in the coop for about a week before sending them out again. Give them a chance to identify it as home. After that you can just open the door and their curiosity will eventually get them out. Instinct will get them back in when the sun goes down.

btw,
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I agree, let them get use to this home and then after about a week or so...they know where home is and will go back in more easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom