"Resting" Question

Apr 26, 2020
This will be our 3rd year processing our own meat birds. In the past we have butchered them, then let them rest in a cooler of ice for 24-48 hours, then packaged them. This year due to some circumstances we have to approach the process differently. I was wondering if it is ok to butcher them, quarter them out (breasts, thighs, wings, etc) all separate as we choose, then package them (probably vacuum seal), then let them rest in the fridge for the 24-48 hours before freezing? Not sure if this would alter taste or tenderness, etc. Thanks!

This will be our 3rd year processing our own meat birds. In the past we have butchered them, then let them rest in a cooler of ice for 24-48 hours, then packaged them. This year due to some circumstances we have to approach the process differently. I was wondering if it is ok to butcher them, quarter them out (breasts, thighs, wings, etc) all separate as we choose, then package them (probably vacuum seal), then let them rest in the fridge for the 24-48 hours before freezing? Not sure if this would alter taste or tenderness, etc. Thanks!
This is what I have been doing. I also ran out of room in the freezer and haven't been canning broth, so I pitch most backs. I don't even gut very often.

For bone in breasts I cut through ribs and leave the guts.
Pic of turkey to show where I cut .

IMG_20240210_105250199.jpg

IMG_20240210_105258510.jpg

package them (probably vacuum seal), then let them rest in the fridge for the 24-48 hours before freezing? Not sure if this would alter taste or tenderness, etc.
We all have our own tastes. Sometimes I'm amazed at what some people notice that I don't. As far as I'm concerned that should work well.

I butcher and part mine, vacuum package mine, and freeze it the same day. When I use it I take it out, let it thaw, and age it then. That works for me.

I skin mine, part them out, put them in gallon ziplock bags by item type (boneless/skinless breasts in one bag, bone-in wings legs and thighs in another), let them rest in the fridge until joints move easily, then freeze. Because I want to eat them as soon as they're thawed. Works great, tastes great, several tidy packages.

Last year was my first year processing. I cleaned, rinsed then immediately put in ice bath, drain water, top off ice and let rest 24 hours in coolers. Rinse, pat dry and bag next day. This year I will part out a few before bagging.

Back
Top Bottom