New chicken hotel is almost finished!!

budda

Chirping
8 Years
May 2, 2011
Atlanta GA
Been slowly putting this coop and run together at the old house (we moved over the weekend). I built everything to be mobile. The walls of the run were built in 8, 10 and 12 foot sections with the front (8 foot sections) being wider sections than the others to allow for pitch and runoff. The entire run/coop area is 12 feet long and 10 feet wide with the coop being one of the corners.

The 10 and 12 foot sections are 3 feet wide and there are two of each. I wired them so that there is 1/2 inch square wire on bottom and 1.5 inch square wire on top with the main thought being that the 1/2 inch wire is more apt to keep small critters from getting in at ground level. The 8 foot sections are 3 feet wide and the second on is 3 feet 8 inches wide which gives me the appropriate pitch for run off. The coop itself is incorporated into the run. The coop is 4 feet by 6 feet and fits into the run leaving a 4 foot section which is where I am going to frame in a door to get into the run area.

The coop is also pitched appropriately. There is a 22 in h high space under the coop for the chickens to roam as well. Inside the coop I have incorporated a 73 inch long 2x4 as a roost. There are two nesting boxes which are shaped differently in case the chickens have preferences. There is a 28 inch wide by 40 inch high door into the coop that my wife wanted on the inside of the run area. Next to it is a 12 inch high by 10 inch wide door that is also hinged so it can be shut during cold weather. I am going to insulate the entire coop, but at a later time. Finally, the coop has two windows in it. One is 22 by 10 inches and the other is 18 high and 12 wide. I saved the wood from each and am going to hinge the cut outs as well so I can close them up during cold weather too. The run area was stained Mahogany and the coop was painted an off teal color. We have not named it yet but we have 7 chickens who are 2 weeks old and will be living in there in the next few days once it's finished. We have 3 Ameracaunas, 2 Welsummers, a Barred Rock and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. And yea, the chickens have been named already.

Pics to follow

Budda

Last edited:
Well!
pop.gif

Here are some pics...sorry it took so long. I have been working about 12 hours a day and then tending to a 19 month old who is already getting her 2nd year molars.

2r5z2b7.jpg

30mpiz9.jpg

2h3wjra.jpg

219dzdg.jpg

16216jq.jpg

2s9292v.jpg

35n9478.jpg

b6v61z.jpg

Looks great. I remember those teething days well. Mine always got a fever and a running nose with each tooth. Made for some long days and nights. Bless your heart!

Good night tonight thus far. Put her down at 8pm and got up with her at 1130pm and 10 minutes ago ( 4:25am). Makes for a long day.

Anyway, I figured out that the run and coop is not square last night when I was putting the olastic roofing on. I was laying the rafters and as I got to the opposite side I was off by about 7 inches. So, in the inform the wife I went. She said fix it....so I went back out, yanked and tugged and tried to fix it but to no avail. So, when it gets to be a decent hour this morning, I am gonna try one more thing and it it does bot work, I am going to finish and it won't be perfect. Done a fantastic job until now and I hate getting to the very end to find out that something so crucial is messed up!!! Oh well, I will hopefully post more pics later today once I am completely finished.

Back
Top Bottom