New chicken house/tractor completed!!!

luvarabhorses

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Hector, Ar
Here's our new house. We had lots of scraps from other projects so it only cost $100 to make. We mixed oops paint for the exterior. It is on 4x4 skids so it can be moved with our tractor.
The front 10x10
16532_003.jpg

Hen boxes with a canvas cover for evening/night to prevent roosting
16532_004.jpg

Box access from outside.
16532_011.jpg

Side and at an angle
16532_002.jpg

that is great. I like that it only cost around $100. The canvas sounds like a good idea. Do you still like it after the birds have been in and living in the coop?

Thanks Holly O

I really really love it, thanks for asking!!!

I was a little surprised that there wasn't more room on the roosts once my troop piled in.

They have room in the morning to mill around a little before they are let out.

We ran out of lumber so we used the feedbags turned inside out until we scavenge some more lumber. I will have to make some curtains for the winter. I have heavy vinyl for that

The canvas is actually leftover goretex (my Mom worked there), and I hooked three wires to the front that meet to one wire so it could just be lifted, I just have to remember to shut it by 6pm or around there. There is a piece of scrap wood running along the bottom the wire is hooked to.

We put horse safe fence that had been mangled on the inside so if a predator chews through the wood it will hit the wire.

Last edited:
That looks wonderful.
That's a huge tractor, Do you plan on moving it around or is it stationary? How do you move it if you do plan on moving it?

That looks wonderful.
That's a huge tractor, Do you plan on moving it around or is it stationary? How do you move it if you do plan on moving it?

Thanks a lot! Here is what we do.
We have a kubota tractor with a bucket. We put the bucket on the horizontal 4x4 on either the front (see 4x4 under door on ground) or the back and push it one direction or the other. We usually push it about 10 feet. Then we just throw some lime on the manure from the chicken house and just leave it. It doesn't take that long for it to blend in with the rest of the pen, (we don't let it get gross with manure in the house, just move it maybe twice a month).

I know this because our first house was on wheels. We pulled it with our golf cart. It was our first attempt to build something and it was/is pretty embarrassing. It worked but it was pretty ugly. I think we are going to remodel it into a goat abode.​

Back
Top Bottom