New Chicken Keeper in The Sunshine State

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

Glad you joined us at Backyard chickens.  The younger the chick, the less likely they are accurately sexed.  You're very fortunate you could swap them for hens.

I know that chicks can be hard to sex, but the breeder sold them to me as pullets. Of course, there can always be room for error, but since 7 out of 9 were cockerels, he is either clueless or he deliberately deceived me.

Welcome to BYC, Ivette!  Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry you got all of those roosters, but glad you were able to trade them for 4 hens. It's unusual to find someone who would make that trade. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

Thanks all for the great welcome.

Let's see, now that my flock just went from 7 roosters and 2 hens to 1 rooster and 6 hens, I have to think about this for a minute.

Hawkeye, a 24 week old EE Rooster
Rerun, a 24 week old Black Sexlink Hen
Frosty, a 24 week old EE Hen
Madonna, a 2 yr old EE Hen
A 10 month old EE/RIR Mix Hen that still needs a name
A 10 month old Black Copper Maran Hen that still needs a name
A 10 month old Maran/EE Mix Hen that still needs a name

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you are putting together a nice flock, lucky you were able to trade all those roos for pullets.

Thanks all for the great welcome.

Let's see, now that my flock just went from 7 roosters and 2 hens to 1 rooster and 6 hens, I have to think about this for a minute.

Hawkeye, a 24 week old EE Rooster
Rerun, a 24 week old Black Sexlink Hen
Frosty, a 24 week old EE Hen
Madonna, a 2 yr old EE Hen
A 10 month old EE/RIR Mix Hen that still needs a name
A 10 month old Black Copper Maran Hen that still needs a name
A 10 month old Maran/EE Mix Hen that still needs a name

You have a nice mix of good layers. Black Sex Links are my favorites. I've raised them for years and they are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite. She loves their colored eggs. I also love the chocolate eggs of the Marans. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom