New chicken lover!!!

amanning0924

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2015
East Tennessee
My name is Ashley and I am in east TN. My husband and our two kids took the plunge into having chickens back in the summer.
Well, actually I took the plunge and just pulled everybody else along with me..haha I had never really been a bird person. As a matter of fact birds had kinda always creeped me out. So the fact that I wanted to get chickens was a bit of a suprise. Even to myself. But I had had this idea brewing for a long time that I wanted to have some chickens for fresh eggs. We homeschool our kids, and as a joke my husband suggested I take the kids to First Monday on a field trip (they have that once a month at the local stock barn). Well the joke was on him, because I came back with chickens. We started out with 2 laying hens and have added what we thought were 3 more hens but it turns out my favorite "hen" from the bunch is a rooster!!
hmm.png
We just wanted to have fresh eggs, but now that our favorite chicken is a rooster, we might try to raise some chicks. Anyway, we are just winging it as we go, (pun intended) and adding to our eclectic flock a little at a time. We have already learned so much and I look forward to learning more here on BYC!!!! p.s. I'm totally a bird person now..haha

Hi Ashley,
welcome-byc.gif

Birds have a way of working right into your heart, that's for sure. And raising them is a wonderful hobby the whole family can enjoy. If you have questions, always feel free to ask...there are a lot of very helpful, friendly members here.

Enjoy your flock and thanks for joining us!

Welcome to BYC Ashley! Glad you joined us! It's always nice to meet another E. Tennessean!
frow.gif
What breeds do you have? Good luck with your flock!

Thanks!! We have a Barred Rock and Buff Orpington that were both laying when we got them. Then we added an EE(who just laid her first egg on Mon
celebrate.gif
), a Dominiquer, and a Rhode Island Red who turns out is a roo. I love being able to tell who laid what egg.

Welcome to BYC, Ashley. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on Free Spirit; if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom