New Chicken mom

laura3

Chirping
7 Years
May 13, 2015
I bought my three kids chicks the day before Easter. I never intended on keeping them. My brother-in-law's sister has a nice Farmette and I was going to send them there to live once they got big. Now my chicks Daisy, Dixie, and Dinky are about seven and a half weeks old and I am totally in love with them. I got a Boomer and George Tree top chicken coup where they will live once we get it put together. My babies are currently in a large cage in my sunroom. I let them run around the sunroom about six to eight hours a day. I am constantly cleaning up their dropping because I am a clean freak. They are so sweet with little personalities. They love treats and actually liked to be petted. I never in a million years would think chickens can be pets. I am so glad I found backyard chicken so much great information and people just like me who love chickens.

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I think a lot of us (including me) have been surprised at how easy it is to enjoy them. Watching chicken tv is the best show around! What breed are your Daisy, Dinky and Dixie (cute names)?

You might enjoy checking out the thread about house chickens (even though yours will be moving out to a coop, it's still a fun one to peek at). This will get you there:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/299187/people-with-house-chickens

Have fun with your flock and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! It sounds like you have caught the chicken bug if you are keeping your chicks. It is so easy to fall in love with them and I too never thought I would, I was actually bird phobic and petrified of them. All that changed though once we got a couple of hens in the garden my obsession just grew and grew. It's great you are able to pet them it makes it so much more fun with them. Mine too love lap sitting and to be petted.

Wishing you the very best of luck with Daisy, Dinky and Dixie in the future. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've been raising chickens for 50 years, and they make great pets, especially the calmer and more gentle breeds. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sounds like you are really enjoying your flock! Aren't their personalties so great!? I love how they are each so unique and special.

The big bonus of having chickens is "chicken tv,". No cable or satellite bills, no reruns, live entertainment, and eggs too. Glad you joined the BYC flock, Sounds like the party is at your house
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom