New Chicken Momma - Hawk took 2 of my chickens today and I am heartbroken! Here for solutions

Okay, I kept looking every hour until dark. My fenced garden area is only about 400 square feet. Raised beds. Some banana trees. Little greenhouse. Not many hiding spots. I tried to hold out hope, but no sign. The next day, hopes fully dashed, I poured myself a cocktail and sat out there mourning the chickens that so quickly became my friends. And what do you know, I heard some muffled clucking and one popped out from under the cardboard pile! Feathers all a mess. The missing two girls had hidden between two several sheets of cardboard (broken down boxes) under the tarp for hours and hours not making a single peep! I feel ridiculous and yet so happy and relieved. I was so distressed. I was doubting whether I would be able to even successfully keep the remaining two. This community gave me hope. Working on plans for a run now! Thank you!
Oh what wonderful news!! :wee

Welcome to BYC. So sorry for your loss. I live in the country and we have hawks in the woods also. I have a covered run just for that reason. I also have a chicken wire fence that I can put up outside the run and I put netting over it. Just showing my set up to give you ideas. We also have safety trapped a skunk, opossum and ferrel cats that have been rehomed. My son says I worry too much about their safety. Yes, I do. They are my joy and also an investment for my whole family. Definately make a secure run.

Attachments

• 20200919_141049.jpg
    20200919_141049.jpg
    873.9 KB · Views: 3
Howdy :frow :welcome That was hair-raising suspense over here. I'm sure it was for you too but it worked out all around. ♥Don't delay building the run. Your chicks outwitted the hawks this time but as long as they are small, they are potential prey. I don't let mine free range until they are too large for the hawks and owls that share my space.

Back
Top Bottom