New Chicken Momma - Hawk took 2 of my chickens today and I am heartbroken! Here for solutions

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

So sorry for your loss. :(

Yes, it's possible that you will be able to free range.. just not while your chicks are so easy to carry.

Each year I may have to lock my flock up for a short period or sometimes just the juveniles until the hawks head on their way. Close up the buffet and they will leave in short order. Usually early spring and fall.. are high hawk time and I've heard them screeching like crazy in my neighbors trees for the last couple of days.

Night time predators like raccoon, opossum, weasel and others can be more nefarious than daytime. Domestic dogs are always a #1 threat despite doing it for fun.

4x6 is plenty of space short term for the two you have left. But having extra space to roam and forage is always a bonus, if you are able to add more run and it also decreases the amount of cleaning that has to be done if you don't just load it with more birds.

Hope the others remain safe and continue to thrive! :fl
Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply!

I guess no lost chicks have reappeared?
Okay, I kept looking every hour until dark. My fenced garden area is only about 400 square feet. Raised beds. Some banana trees. Little greenhouse. Not many hiding spots. I tried to hold out hope, but no sign. The next day, hopes fully dashed, I poured myself a cocktail and sat out there mourning the chickens that so quickly became my friends. And what do you know, I heard some muffled clucking and one popped out from under the cardboard pile! Feathers all a mess. The missing two girls had hidden between two several sheets of cardboard (broken down boxes) under the tarp for hours and hours not making a single peep! I feel ridiculous and yet so happy and relieved. I was so distressed. I was doubting whether I would be able to even successfully keep the remaining two. This community gave me hope. Working on plans for a run now! Thank you!

Actually, my broody Silkie lost a chick 2 days in a row.. before I strung fishing line.. and haven't been attacked SINCE, in that pen! Anecdotal, BUT... maybe there's something to it! :thumbsup

I see hawks laugh at the fake owls my neighbor has.. those don't even fool my chickens!

I have never YET had two birds actually disappear from a raptor attack on a single day especially during the same hour. Which gave me hope when sourland asked if they happen to be hiding somewhere good! :fl
Okay, I kept looking every hour until dark. My fenced garden area is only about 400 square feet. Raised beds. Some banana trees. Little greenhouse. Not many hiding spots. I tried to hold out hope, but no sign. The next day, hopes fully dashed, I poured myself a cocktail and sat out there mourning the chickens that so quickly became my friends. And what do you know, I heard some muffled clucking and one popped out from under the cardboard pile! Feathers all a mess. The missing two girls had hidden between two several sheets of cardboard (broken down boxes) under the tarp for hours and hours not making a single peep! I feel ridiculous and yet so happy and relieved. I was so distressed. I was doubting whether I would be able to even successfully keep the remaining two. This community gave me hope. Working on plans for a run now! Thank you!

Melinda,
I'm so sorry that you lost 2 of your chicks.:hugs
You will need to build a run onto your coop. Put a solid roof on it if you can. You'll have to keep the survivors locked up for a couple of weeks. Yes, raptors have been known to attack with caretakers standing right there.
Welcome to BYC. I'm glad you joined.

Hello, and welcome to BYC. Any possibility that one or both of the chicks are hiding somewhere ?

I guess no lost chicks have reappeared?

Okay, I kept looking every hour until dark. My fenced garden area is only about 400 square feet. Raised beds. Some banana trees. Little greenhouse. Not many hiding spots. I tried to hold out hope, but no sign. The next day, hopes fully dashed, I poured myself a🐓🐓🐓 cocktail and sat out there mourning the chickens that so quickly became my friends. And what do you know, I heard some muffled clucking and one popped out from under the cardboard pile! Feathers all a mess. The missing two girls had hidden between two several sheets of cardboard (broken down boxes) under the tarp for hours and hours not making a single peep! I feel ridiculous and yet so happy and relieved. I was so distressed. I was doubting whether I would be able to even successfully keep the remaining two. This community gave me hope. Working on plans for a run now! Thank you
Seeing them all return must have been such a relief. I'm so happy they are all safe :) 🐓🐓🐓

@sourland... you were right, they were hiding well and have returned! :yesss:

Low and tight hiding spaces are so key to predator evasion.. the mess of turned over chairs and other obstacles that appear throughout my pasture is with cause. :)

I feel ridiculous and yet so happy and relieved.
So happy for you! :celebrate

Ridiculous would be not morning the life of a recent feathered friend to some extent at least.

What a fantastic wake up call to reality of what possible dangers are though! And now this shall somehow undoubtedly increase their sentimental value to you even further (I suspect).. I wan't photos of happy little survivors reunited with their flock mates.. and hey include their relieved guardian's smile if it feels right. ;)

Oh I am so glad you found them!! What a relief it must be for you! :)

Back
Top Bottom