New chicken momma here! :) new member

Mckenzie1227

In the Brooder
May 30, 2020
Hi, my name is McKenzie. I’m brand new to chickens. I’m absolutely loving this new adventure!! I have 18 new little babies!! 4 Plymouth Barred rocks, 4 welsummers, 4 Black copper marans, and 6 Easter eggers. I need some name recommendations lol I’ve only got like two named!! I’ve been working with them to make friendly girls, but some still act like I’m a big monster lol mainly it’s the EE’s and the Welsummer’s. I’ve tried treats they don’t like eating from my hand even the ones that act like they love me. Any advice for all things chickens/chicks would be awesome.

Hello McKenzie! Welcome to BYC! What names do you have already? Are you going with a theme? I did a spice theme recently, we have: Nutmeg, Ginger, Pepper, Sesame, and Cinnamon (we called them the "Spice Girls" :lol:.) I don't really have any advice off the top of my head (sorry) were you looking for anything in particular? Good luck!

Hello McKenzie! Welcome to BYC! What names do you have already? Are you going with a theme? I did a spice theme recently, we have: Nutmeg, Ginger, Pepper, Sesame, and Cinnamon (we called them the "Spice Girls" :lol:.) I don't really have any advice off the top of my head (sorry) were you looking for anything in particular? Good luck!
so far I’ve got penny for one of my barred rocks lol And maybe espresso for one of my marans. I’m not really going with a theme I don’t think. But like that “Spice Girls” lol!! I do have a couple concerns/questions. One being temperature, so the hot side of the brooder the temperature has been reading Between 80-85 degrees which from what I’ve read is what they need to be at the age they are at. I also have the cooler side of the brooder if they were to get to hot they go over there. Lately they’ve been confusing me, they huddle right under the hottest part of the heat lamp as if they’re cold but some are panting. So why are the ones that are panting not going to the cooler side or at least dehuddle a little bit? (Sorry this kind of got a little long lol) and two being their poo has got me bamboozled as well. I suspect it’s cecal droppings but I honestly don’t know what chick diarrhea looks like to be able to compare what’s normal and what’s abnormal.

Last edited:
Hello, McKenzie, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Post a picture of the poops you are concerned about. I'd trade in the heat lamp for a brooder plate with a towel over it.
They’ve been on medicated chick starter, I’ve given them chick grit that I mix in their feed, and dried meal worms to use as treats. I don’t give them the mealworms everyday.
523E825A-7AAF-4A3D-885F-8A14FDBB36ED.jpeg

597C7BCE-97B8-4040-A304-4B3A7A559BFB.jpeg

I gave up trying to name mine. 6 Black Australorps. They’re all black with no distinguishing features. Sweet as can be but I’m sorry I can’t tell them apart. One sounds like a turkey. She always comes to me first. I call her Turk. So, yeah no good naming advice here. Anyways, welcome and get ready to laugh every time you go out to see them. Chickens are a hoot!

Back
Top Bottom