New chicken momma with breed question

kristinemarie

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2016
NW FL
First, I'd like to say, this is a very helpful site! Have been visiting for almost a year and have learned a lot.
We (my hubby, two boys, and I) got our first mail order flock of pullets back in April. SLW, BA, NHR, BR, 2 BOs, and my favorite, the EE. All arrived healthy and happy to FL. They're coming up on 18 weeks and I'm counting the days til that first egg!
A few weeks ago I got "the itch" and decided to order 5 more EEs. My order arrived this morning and the packing slip said 5 EE pullets/1 extra. I open the box and there were 6 dead chicks and 8 living, none of which look to me like EEs. I've emailed the hatchery because I may have ended up with someone else's order. In the meantime, I was wondering what breed these chicks are? I've guessed on a few but no idea on the others. Your expertise is appreciated. :)

Looks like BA

Looks like BR

RIR maybe?

No idea

No idea

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Hope you get those first eggs soon! It sure is great to find those little treasures in the nest box. What you ordered and what arrived sure does sound very different. I hope the hatchery is able to shed some light on this for you. I'm sure if you post your pics in the what breed gender section members there will be able to help you ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

What hatchery did you order from? I would be pretty peeved if I was sent more than double the chicks I ordered. On top of 6 dead and a bunch of random breeds. Sorry that happened. I agree with most your guesses. The second to last one could be a EE and the white one a Plymouth rock or leghorn, maybe. Good luck with your new chicks

Last edited:
Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Hope you get those first eggs soon! It sure is great to find those little treasures in the nest box. What you ordered and what arrived sure does sound very different. I hope the hatchery is able to shed some light on this for you. I'm sure if you post your pics in the what breed gender section members there will be able to help you ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

What hatchery did you order from? I would be pretty peeved if I was sent more than double the chicks I ordered. On top of 6 dead and a bunch of random breeds. Sorry that happened. I agree with most your guesses. The second to last one could be a EE and the white one a Plymouth rock or leghorn, maybe. Good luck with your new chicks

Thank you. I ordered from Estes. Had no problem with my April order, which leads me to believe I was mistakenly sent the wrong order. I can't keep/don't want these chicks but I have a friend who will take them so no big deal there. Regarding the deaths, I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to the heat. My fault for ordering in summer. :( I hope to hear back from Estes soon.

welcome-byc.gif

Oh wow..that is strange that you got that wrong box! Glad you called back. They should send you the right chicks now! The one that you think is a RIR, I would guess looks more like a New Hampshire.

The white, leghorn or white rock. ?? Although, check out the color of those legs and feet on that white one. Interesting.

The next to last one I can tell you the color...splash! I would take that one in a hear beat if your were closer and wanted to give it up. I love the splash colors! And that one looks like it's going to be a nice splash.

Hope you checked out the link given. :) Good luck!

Please update after you hear from seller, I would like to know that they make restitution - what a bummer though to open and find dead chicks.
Wonder if YOUR order mistakenly was mixed up and they(someone) got your rightful chicks.

I hope they do, can't see why they wouldn't. Assuming someone ended up with mine, they're probably not too happy. I hope those chicks survived. I'll be sure to update.

Back
Top Bottom