1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicken momma with breed question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kristinemarie, Aug 5, 2016.

1. kristinemarie

kristinemarie Just Hatched

Aug 5, 2016
    NW FL
    First, I'd like to say, this is a very helpful site! Have been visiting for almost a year and have learned a lot.
    We (my hubby, two boys, and I) got our first mail order flock of pullets back in April. SLW, BA, NHR, BR, 2 BOs, and my favorite, the EE. All arrived healthy and happy to FL. They're coming up on 18 weeks and I'm counting the days til that first egg!
    A few weeks ago I got "the itch" and decided to order 5 more EEs. My order arrived this morning and the packing slip said 5 EE pullets/1 extra. I open the box and there were 6 dead chicks and 8 living, none of which look to me like EEs. I've emailed the hatchery because I may have ended up with someone else's order. In the meantime, I was wondering what breed these chicks are? I've guessed on a few but no idea on the others. Your expertise is appreciated. :)

Looks like BA
    [​IMG]

Looks like BR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RIR maybe?
    [​IMG]

No idea
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No idea
    [​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Hope you get those first eggs soon! It sure is great to find those little treasures in the nest box. What you ordered and what arrived sure does sound very different. I hope the hatchery is able to shed some light on this for you. I'm sure if you post your pics in the what breed gender section members there will be able to help you ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, kristinemarie, and :welcome. Pleased you joined our community! Enjoy your growing flock! :)

4. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

What hatchery did you order from? I would be pretty peeved if I was sent more than double the chicks I ordered. On top of 6 dead and a bunch of random breeds. Sorry that happened. I agree with most your guesses. The second to last one could be a EE and the white one a Plymouth rock or leghorn, maybe. Good luck with your new chicks

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  5. kristinemarie

Aug 5, 2016
    NW FL

6. kristinemarie

Aug 5, 2016
    NW FL
    Thank you, I'll do that.

7. kristinemarie

Aug 5, 2016
    NW FL

Thank you. I ordered from Estes. Had no problem with my April order, which leads me to believe I was mistakenly sent the wrong order. I can't keep/don't want these chicks but I have a friend who will take them so no big deal there. Regarding the deaths, I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to the heat. My fault for ordering in summer. :( I hope to hear back from Estes soon.

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Oh wow..that is strange that you got that wrong box! Glad you called back. They should send you the right chicks now! The one that you think is a RIR, I would guess looks more like a New Hampshire.

The white, leghorn or white rock. ?? Although, check out the color of those legs and feet on that white one. Interesting.

The next to last one I can tell you the color...splash! I would take that one in a hear beat if your were closer and wanted to give it up. I love the splash colors! And that one looks like it's going to be a nice splash.

Hope you checked out the link given. :) Good luck!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please update after you hear from seller, I would like to know that they make restitution - what a bummer though to open and find dead chicks.
    Wonder if YOUR order mistakenly was mixed up and they(someone) got your rightful chicks.

10. kristinemarie

Aug 5, 2016
    NW FL
    I hope they do, can't see why they wouldn't. Assuming someone ended up with mine, they're probably not too happy. I hope those chicks survived. I'll be sure to update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by