New Chicken Owner- Confused about possible hen acting like a rooster!

chouchens

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2019
Hi everyone! I am new to backyard chickens and so far, the hardest part has been trying to determine if I have any roosters! Right now, I am especially confused by my 2 buff orpingtons. Since the day I got them as little chicks, one has always been a little bigger than the other. Watching them develop and grow over the past few months has also highlighted the physical differences between the two. For reference, the larger one is Kentucky and the smaller one is Hei Hei.

I am pretty sure that Kentucky is a rooster- as he is still bigger, and because he has developed some rooster traits- such as his tail feathers, including what I believe are saddle feathers, the way he sticks his neck out, the way the feathers are around his neck, I think they are called hackle feathers (he likes to "puff" those out too), his weird strut (where he dropped his wings down low to the ground and did the weirdest walk I've ever seen) and of course- the fact that he crows. However, one thing about him that is odd, is that his comb and wattles are small and pale pink; unlike his assumed female counterpart, who has developed a very large, bright red comb and wattles.

So, here I was thinking for sure I knew what they were, but now- my "hen", has started to crow. LOUDLY- and all day. I've heard of hens showing male like traits- crowing and what not, but now she has become incredibly aggressive- towards me! For instance, yesterday I looked outside and saw them all (I have 4 total) sitting on top of the roof of their coop, so I went out there to get them done. I kid you not when I say the moment I stepped outside- that "hen" flew off the top of the coop into the yard and ran straight at me- and started "attacking" my feet and ankles, and even grabbed the bottom of my dress and was pulling on it! Then, when I leaned down like I was going to pick her up- she pecked my wrist with such force that she left a mark! Also of note- Kentucky, my assumed rooster, is not aggressive towards me or the kids.

I started doing more reading and discovered that there is such thing as spontaneous sex reversal, but everything I read seemed to suggest that this happens after they start laying eggs. For the record- mine have not yet started laying, as they are about 3 months old now.

I've attached some pics for yall to see, and to give me your opinions.

In the first pic (of 3 chickens on my deck), the hen in question is the yellow one. Notice her large comb and wattles? In the 2nd pic, you can see both of them (the 2 yellow ones). My assumed rooster is in the back of the pic. Notice his way smaller comb and wattles? Ad what I think are saddle feathers? The 3rd pic you can see the 2 of them side by side- really just to see the much smaller comb.

Finally, the 4th picture is just the 2 in question. They were standing at my back door looking into the house. The hen in question, Hei Hei, is on the left, while Kentucky is on the right. Notice how he has his neck stuck out? He is always doing that. You can also see the difference between the combs and wattles.

What do ya'll think?

Attachments

• Chicken.jpg
    Chicken.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 33
  • chicken2.jpg
    chicken2.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 28
  • chicken3.jpg
    chicken3.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 28
  • chicken4.jpg
    chicken4.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 29
The Barred Rock and the Buff Orpington in the first image are definitely cockerels. The second BO I’m not too sure about, that comb is awfully red for a 3 month old BO, especially as pullets are slow to mature. I can’t see any pointed saddle or hackle feathers (images are too blurry for me) but I’m going with cockerel.

Hei Hei (the one of the left in the last pic) is definitely as rooster, here's no mistaking that huge comb and waddles. Not positive about Kentucky (on the left), but I believe he's a rooster too, sorry.

Thank you all for the responses...but I am even more confused now LOL!

I will say this- BOTH of the orpingtons crow. I have physically witnessed it. The barred rock, hasn't done it. At first, I had assumed that the combs and wattles were a sure way of identifying a rooster vs a hen, however, look at the picture I attached. These are all hens that my b/f has had for some years. They all have pretty decent combs and wattles- including his barred rock ones.

Attachments

• chickens.jpg
    chickens.jpg
    628.3 KB · Views: 25
Thank you all for the responses...but I am even more confused now LOL!

I will say this- BOTH of the orpingtons crow. I have physically witnessed it. The barred rock, hasn't done it. At first, I had assumed that the combs and wattles were a sure way of identifying a rooster vs a hen, however, look at the picture I attached. These are all hens that my b/f has had for some years. They all have pretty decent combs and wattles- including his barred rock ones.

Identifying males from females by combs and wattles only works when they're approaching puberty. After that, yes... roosters have bigger combs and wattles, but it can be difficult to see the difference. Once they've reached sexual maturity, the best way to tell the difference is the difference in their male and female specific feathering, specifically saddle feathers. Saddle feathers start growing in about 12 weeks, and look like this:
Saddle Feathers.jpg

I agree that the barred rock and one buff Orpington are cockerels. I can't really tell with the second BO, can you try to get more individual pictures?

Back
Top Bottom