New chicken owner , few concerns

dillyl2567

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2021
Heya guys .
I’m a new chicken mum and I do have a few concerns in trying to “age” my darlings . I also think they’re from the same hatchling but I read online if they do mate, it’s not the end of the world? You can mate into 3 generations?
Anyway , my concerns are as follows abs I would really appreciate your knowledge and input.

my boy, Hugh , is I porcelain sableboot (or d’uccle)
When he was staying at my brothers whilst setting up their coop and run, he apparently crowed .. he’s not crowed once since being here (about 3 weeks now) but we’ve noticed they’re sneezing
I have addressed their sneezing with Apple cider vinegar in their water and some garlic in their diet - even as of yesterday put ventex into their water .. he is getting the idea of crowing again but he’s nearly muted , but he can talk and make all the other noises … I think he’s slowly getting better but if you have anything more on this to help, please let me know.
Whilst on this natural anti-biotic we have not added anymore hens to the flock as we didn’t want to give any added stress to Hugh and Hennifer . It’s just them 2.

my second concern is his hackle feathers . He has a lovely plumage but his hackles by his ears where not showing when I got him home … they’re now currently pins -growing to be into feathers .. is this him being hen pecked ? Or is this an age thing where he is still so young ?
Thanks in advance !

sophia

Attachments

• 4F7C16F5-6298-4BFE-AD89-924F2D2D8E9C.jpeg
    4F7C16F5-6298-4BFE-AD89-924F2D2D8E9C.jpeg
    524.8 KB · Views: 14
I'm not familiar with porcelain D'Uccles and whether that feather growth pattern is a thing, but wondered if they are still sneezing? I googled Ventex and didn't find anything...are you in Great Britain by chance? (The whilst gave you away...I read a lot of British authors.) :) Wondering if your pretties are still sneezing or having any health issues so we can try to assist.

I'm not familiar with porcelain D'Uccles and whether that feather growth pattern is a thing, but wondered if they are still sneezing? I googled Ventex and didn't find anything...are you in Great Britain by chance? (The whilst gave you away...I read a lot of British authors.) :) Wondering if your pretties are still sneezing or having any health issues so we can try to assist.
Heya!

yes , UK . Very well observed . (Is “whilst “ not used in where you are?)

since this thread - I have now noticed his hackles are coming through . (Just under his ears)
It’s not called ventex, that’s my error it’s called vet RX which we’ve not really used as you have to hear it . But we have used “ breathe free”.

his crowing is a lot better now , we have cctv in their snuggly sleepies and can hear him crow in the morning. But the sneezing is still continuous . Any advice is greatly appreciated!

The sneezing is strange, usually the only time I hear my chickens sneeze is when their dust bathing. I can’t help I’m sure somebody can! And very nice looking chickens!😃

No, stateside we don't use whilst but please don't stop...I love the word! I always called my mother "mum" and other Britspeak has crept into my vocabulary over the years. 😊 So Vet RX is a sort of natural remedy of oils and herbal extracts; I don't really have any experience with it. I do know that you and also my friends in Canada don't have access to some of the medications we can get. Sometimes chickens get a respiratory virus that passes and are no worse for wear. I suppose as long as they are otherwise doing well...eating, drinking, active...I'd just watch it. If the sneezing gets worse or is accompanied by discharge, do you have any access to Tylan (tylosin) or Denagard (tiamulin hydrogen fumarate)? Both are good antibiotics to try for some of the respiratory issues...just don't know if you can get them. Oh, and glad his hackle feathers are coming in well!

No, stateside we don't use whilst but please don't stop...I love the word! I always called my mother "mum" and other Britspeak has crept into my vocabulary over the years. 😊 So Vet RX is a sort of natural remedy of oils and herbal extracts; I don't really have any experience with it. I do know that you and also my friends in Canada don't have access to some of the medications we can get. Sometimes chickens get a respiratory virus that passes and are no worse for wear. I suppose as long as they are otherwise doing well...eating, drinking, active...I'd just watch it. If the sneezing gets worse or is accompanied by discharge, do you have any access to Tylan (tylosin) or Denagard (tiamulin hydrogen fumarate)? Both are good antibiotics to try for some of the respiratory issues...just don't know if you can get them. Oh, and glad his hackle feathers are coming in well!
I’ve only notice a clear discharge from Hennifer once but it wasn’t a lot for concern. There’s been no discharge from either of them and they have a very big appetite . We’ve suspended their water now rather than it being on the floor abs it works better for them . I’ll speak to my other half and see if he’s heard of these ointments you have said . I’ll get back to you on that one !

thanks again (I’ll upload a few pictures)

The sneezing is strange, usually the only time I hear my chickens sneeze is when their dust bathing. I can’t help I’m sure somebody can! And very nice looking chickens!😃
Thank you ! Their sneezing is daily unfortunately. From what I’ve read , there’s two types of respiratory challenges . One does pass and one is a little more severe and is life long . Just wondered if anyone else has had issues similar . My dickens are yet to use their dust bath mix but it’s been raining so much thats it’s all pretty heavy , taken it away to dry

I’ve only notice a clear discharge from Hennifer once but it wasn’t a lot for concern. There’s been no discharge from either of them and they have a very big appetite . We’ve suspended their water now rather than it being on the floor abs it works better for them . I’ll speak to my other half and see if he’s heard of these ointments you have said . I’ll get back to you on that one !

thanks again (I’ll upload a few pictures)
1731CF89-20C7-4946-8A2C-3667878DF6CA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom