New chicken owner - first coop. Advice?

At 6 weeks old and 50 degrees they should be off heat at this point, so really start working on that. Once they're off heat, remove the heat lamp so you're not tempted to use it in there again, it's a massive fire hazard.

I'd also consider adding in a lot more ventilation, the wall facing into the mini run would be a good place to put it, as the roof will help protect it from the elements. Also look into raising the roost bars, you will continue to have issues with them sleeping in the nests because the roosts are barely over floor height.

100748963_10159637383802619_3351068578240528384_n.jpg

This is the infographic I was following... it says minimum temperatures outside should be 65? My two that are in the coop ARE fully feathered. (minus baby feathers on the top of their heads)

We had that exact coop when we started :) My 2 cents:
There is enough ventilation with the opening that's above the pop door. You also have the back slide window and side window to open in the summer months.
4 chickens is all that will hold comfortably, so no chicken math for you.
We build a run extension on ours to give our 4 more room, we tried to free range and lost :)
If you get snow, wrap the run in Dollar Store clear shower curtains to keep the snow and wind out in the winter.
It's going to get crazy hot in there with that light, it's such a small space, I wouldn't worry about extra heat.

Whats stopping anything from digging under and getting inside?

It's now on a 4x4 base and there are pavers surounding the bottom :) but I do plan on getting a roll of hardware cloth to put under the 4x4's to be extra safe. I also want to put a heavier gauge hardware cloth around the bottom of the run. (it's expensive though so right now they are getting locked into the coop at night) just in case of preditors. I have reinforced the hardware cloth that came with it already with washers and screws.

We had that exact coop when we started :) My 2 cents:
There is enough ventilation with the opening that's above the pop door. You also have the back slide window and side window to open in the summer months.
4 chickens is all that will hold comfortably, so no chicken math for you.
We build a run extension on ours to give our 4 more room, we tried to free range and lost :)
If you get snow, wrap the run in Dollar Store clear shower curtains to keep the snow and wind out in the winter.
It's going to get crazy hot in there with that light, it's such a small space, I wouldn't worry about extra heat.

Thanks so much! I'm planning on building one of those PVC/hardware cloth and bird netting runs that are pretty cheap to make. I can't free range because of hawks and ospreys in my yard. There's a BIG ole nest in my back yard. I want them to have as much space as possible. And yes, I agree this will not fit any more than what I have! It says up to 8 on their website but them must be talking about Brahmas. lol. not full size chickens. one of mine is small but not that small.

as for the run, it's pretty cheaply made but I think it'll last longer with the waterproofing, and raising it off the ground, and gluing all of the pieces together as I joined them with screws. I like the overall design. I did add a latch so that I can open the glass part of the window without it flopping around if it gets windy!

as far as covering it, I think we are gonna get some heavy tarps because we get bad hurricaines and tropical storms here constantly in the fall. I am also going to stake it to the ground although, since I added a 4x4" base, I doubt it's light enough to raise off the ground as it could have before.

Last edited:
For everyone, I do allow them to wander the garden for a couple hours a day to get out of the coop/run in a supervised manor. I can watch for hawks and gather them up if I see them circling. put them in the coop. I let them play in areas that are covered. (under our wildflowers and stuff)

It's now on a 4x4 base and there are pavers surounding the bottom :) but I do plan on getting a roll of hardware cloth to put under the 4x4's to be extra safe. I also want to put a heavier gauge hardware cloth around the bottom of the run. (it's expensive though so right now they are getting locked into the coop at night) just in case of preditors. I have reinforced the hardware cloth that came with it already with washers and screws.

As long as the coop is well secured. Sitting up like that is an invite for anything to come on in. I know hardware cloth is high. You might want to look at an electric fence to put around the bottom. I'd say at least till you can put an apron on it but I'd most likely leave it after that fact.

As long as the coop is well secured. Sitting up like that is an invite for anything to come on in. I know hardware cloth is high. You might want to look at an electric fence to put around the bottom. I'd say at least till you can put an apron on it but I'd most likely leave it after that fact.

here it is now. I’ll be adding more pavers!

Attachments

• CBA96333-13CF-4F5E-A542-206C74842321.jpeg
    CBA96333-13CF-4F5E-A542-206C74842321.jpeg
    467.2 KB · Views: 45

Back
Top Bottom