New chicken owner in love with the free range method

fishin_dad

Songster
Feb 28, 2020
Sumter, South Carolina
I purchased a few chicks from TSC about a year ago. I started with 3 RIR, 3 GLW, and 3 Gold sex link hens and a GLW roo. A fox got my roo and a couple of my hens. I since have purchased a SLW roo and he is gorgeous. I also have 2 Min Pins and a Weimaraner, and will soon be getting a couple of goats. I am experimenting with some cross breeding but really like the wyandotte breed.

Welcome to the BYC forums :welcome

What do you love about the Free Range method? It appears you already lost 3 chickens to predation. Where I live, we have heavy predation from eagles and hawks. So from the beginning I have kept my chickens in a chicken run with a bird netting cover. People around here that try to free range their chickens are soon called former chicken owners.

I have 3 acres on a lake, and if not for predator concerns, I would like to have my girls running around the property eating everything they could find. But, since I can't free range my birds without expected losses, I have to settle for cutting and bagging grass clippings and feeding them to the chickens in the chicken run. it is my attempt to bring the range to them in their not-so-free, but protected, chicken run.

Welcome to the BYC forums :welcome

What do you love about the Free Range method? It appears you already lost 3 chickens to predation. Where I live, we have heavy predation from eagles and hawks. So from the beginning I have kept my chickens in a chicken run with a bird netting cover. People around here that try to free range their chickens are soon called former chicken owners.

I have 3 acres on a lake, and if not for predator concerns, I would like to have my girls running around the property eating everything they could find. But, since I can't free range my birds without expected losses, I have to settle for cutting and bagging grass clippings and feeding them to the chickens in the chicken run. it is my attempt to bring the range to them in their not-so-free, but protected, chicken run.
I have since fenced in 2 acres around the house and the weimaraner keeps most everything out and does not bother the chickens

Back
Top Bottom