New Chicken Owner

KillerCupcake

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2018
Hello!

I'm a brand new chicken owner and I have very little knowledge on how to raise these babies. Today I got 2 baby chicks. I have no clue their age or breed but I'll upload a picture. The dark one is about 7-8 inches high with his neck stretched up.

My biggest question is if a heat lamp is needed. I live in FL and it was 85 degrees today. At night its usually about 77-75 so it's pretty warm. I also have them laying in some blankets

Also, if I pet them every day will they become human friendly. My kids already carry them around and they dont peck.

Thanks!
20181104_142639.jpg

Hello!

I'm a brand new chicken owner and I have very little knowledge on how to raise these babies. Today I got 2 baby chicks. I have no clue their age or breed but I'll upload a picture. The dark one is about 7-8 inches high with his neck stretched up.

My biggest question is if a heat lamp is needed. I live in FL and it was 85 degrees today. At night its usually about 77-75 so it's pretty warm. I also have them laying in some blankets

Also, if I pet them every day will they become human friendly. My kids already carry them around and they dont peck.

Thanks!View attachment 1581408

Where did you buy them? Did you ask the age or breed? Did you ask if they were in a brooder before? Could be already 3-5 weeks old as it appears new feathers are coming in. They could be different in age because of size difference or the bigger one could be a roo if supposed to be of same age. I could not guess breed. The first week of life chicks are in a brooder 90-95 degrees and wean 5 degrees every 5-7 days till at 65-70 degrees and fully feathered which should be about 4-5 weeks and some later at 6-8weeks then off. If they crowd too much together all the time and do not venture around brooder on own, then they are cold and need supplemental heat. They will chirp a lot when cold. They should be fed a medicated 20 % starter grower feed till 8 weeks old then can switch to 18 % non-medicated starter grower feed till laying. I would give free choice food/water and chick grit on side since unsure of age. Chick grit starts at 3-4 weeks. May also offer small amount of greens cabbage leaves, carrot tops etc at 3-4 weeks. May also start dried mealworms at 3-4 weeks. It’s high protein treat. Do not offer treats more than 10 % of daily intake. I would put sav a chick electrolytes in water for first 5 days then weekly till adult. Gives birds a good boost! At 8 weeks need to upgrade to poultry grit.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like they need heat. As long as they females handling them a lot is a good thing. If they are males or one is it can cause aggression problems down the road. Time will tell.

Welcome. :frow

I think the darker one might be Male. Hes already a bit of a jerk. But only to his sister, hes actually friendly towards me.
Isn't good to have one Male? Or is a couple females better?

Doesn't sound like they need heat. As long as they females handling them a lot is a good thing. If they are males or one is it can cause aggression problems down the road. Time will tell.

Welcome. :frow

I let them free range a little today. They seemed to like it

Attachments

• 20181105_134004.jpg
    20181105_134004.jpg
    963.9 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom