New chicken owners

mandojerry

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Hi all,
We are new to chickens and got our 5 "ladies" last fall when they were 8 weeks old. One "lady" started crowing and being VERY aggressive so of course now they have a man with them. OK, all was well and the girls started laying about Feb. but now have gone on strike. They stopped laying about 2 weeks ago and we have tried to figure out all the reasons. Any thoughts? One comment is that we went away for 3 days, came back and the laying stopped. We're stumped. We found one broken egg one day but no other signs that something else had got in and was taking eggs.
Thanks

welcome-byc.gif
from Missouri
Sorry I am new at this too, but mine are chicks not laying just yet
tongue.png

Hope you can figure it out.

welcome-byc.gif
Sounds to me like they may have gotten a good scare while you were gone.... Any signs of predators? Feed changed? Yucky weather? Since its all of them I would think something tryed to get to get too them

Are they moulting? I'd give them some electrolytes in their water for a few days just in case they had some kind of scare and the ol' levels are off. Might up the protein a little with some yogurt or special treats. In the meantime check the obvious things like are they getting enough light hours, enough oyster shell, enough grit and enough protein and water.

welcome-byc.gif
from Washington

mandojerry,
Is it possible that you have an egg eater?
It is possible that they are just a little erratic, since they are young. I have one EE that lays every day for several days then nothing for a few weeks.

Good luck,
Imp

I thought mine went on strike too... until I found their new hiding place and about 50 eggs.

Are there any other places that they can be laying and you might not have noticed?

Back
Top Bottom