New chicken owners

if your birds are eating them you will most likely catch them with dried yolk residue on their beaks/faces and heads.

But it could very well be the rats, opossum, any other varments...be carefull that raccoons cannot get into the coop- so close them in at night- they will attack hens.

Also didnt catch where you are from....in the north February is more wintery and hens tend to slack due to cold and lack of daylight.

It might be hard to do but really try varmin proofing your barn- especially if you have raccoons in the area. Patch any holes or missing boards etc...close barn door at night if you can....make sure no feed is spilled or laying about to temp the rats...(they will bring friends and then they will multiply! so try to cut their food source.

I dont feed my hens if their is spilled feed (they are messy eaters, have to scratch and tos the food around) They will get hungry and forage what they spilled....THEN I give them more. This keeps the floor clean.

Hope all goes back to normal whatever the issue turns out to be...

e

Last edited:
Hello I am a new member. I have Three hens. A bared rock, a Californa White, and a Gold Star. We also are trying to incubate 12 wild Mallard eggs that would have died afer the mother was attacted buy two redtailed hawlks. I think the ducks should be hatching inabout two more days.

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom