New Chicken Papa

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all of the information you need to know about poultry. There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Your chickens will be excited to move into their new run. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

The rooster can be with the others, but many people, and I'm one of them, prefer not to have a rooster. Many of them are nothing but trouble. Unless you want him to fertilize eggs, you don't even need a rooster at all. Your pullets will still lay without a rooster (when they're old enough). A rooster will oftentimes "rape" hens and injure them in the process. I was going to keep a cockerel (young rooster) because he was very loving toward me, but he abused the pullets (young hens) and so I re-homed him. We have peace now, and no more terrorized hens!

Rooster will want to be with his ladies, and many if not most are good flock masters.
Agreed. I love roosters. I prefer them. I only have one chicken left amidst a sea of turkey. A New Hampshire red. I adore him. Before that I had a rooster flock of five and rehomed my hens because they started getting way too rough early on with that many roos. The last one protects and watches after all the turkeys. It’s great to see a tiny rooster defend50 lb turkeys. So loyal and brave.

Back
Top Bottom