New Chicken Papa

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Adiamante, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Adiamante

Adiamante In the Brooder

Dec 8, 2018
    Olympia, Washington
    Hello Folks!
    I just brought home seven day old chicks -- six female and one male. I got three Barnevelders -- including the rooster. And two Buff Orpingtons, and two Red Sex Links. I am a semi-retired science teacher, so years ago I hatched chicks in my classroom -- but this will be my first time raising them up.

I live on a few acres on the outskirts of Olympia, Washington. I built them a coop, but for now they are just in a small container in the living room. After a day or two I will shift them to a two foot by six foot brooder in the spare bedroom.

Their coop is about four feet square, with an enclosed run that is four feet by eight feet. The coop is in a yard that is about twenty feet by thirty feet, and I will let them free range in there. There is pasture beyond that. and I hope to let them get out there as well, so long as they do not stray too far, or get attacked by predators.

The chicks are named Lucy and Ethel, Laverne and Shirley, and Ginger and MaryAnne. The rooster is named John G.

It is winter, so a bit cold and rainy. I plan to keep them inside the house for at least six weeks before shifting them into the coop. IMG_2823.jpg

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    :frowWelcome to BYC!

:yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.
    Can you possibly add a few feet on to the coop? It might be a tight fit with 6 full grown birds.
    This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck with your new flock.

4. Adiamante

Adiamante In the Brooder

Dec 8, 2018
    Olympia, Washington
    Adding space to my coop is a good idea -- but not sure how to do that without major demolition!

5. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Glad to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

6. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Queen Of The Coop

Jul 13, 2016
    Burdsville
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Great intro, nice to have you here!

7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Crossing the Road

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    Hello, and welcome! Good luck with your new flock! As far as adding space, maybe you could just add an extension to what you already have and then create a little entry door for them to go into it? That way you won't have to have the major demolition.

8. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    I'm afraid your 16 ft sq coop is going to be a tight fit for your 7 chickens when they mature. Hopefully you will find a way to expand the coop. Perhaps just adding on to the right side?
    Have fun raising your chicks! It's a lot of fun. But they grow up very fast.

9. Adiamante

Adiamante In the Brooder

Dec 8, 2018
    Olympia, Washington
    I will think about it. By the way, will the rooster just be in among the chickens? Or would he prefer some sort of "man cave"?

10. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    christmas chicks.png

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: