New Chicken Papa

Just shifted the four day olds to a larger brooder. They are still inside, but now have a bit more room to spread their wings

. IMG_2874.jpg IMG_2877.jpg IMG_2869.jpg

byc1-rooster-hen.png
You have a really nice looking coop! I don't think you need to make any additions to it at all, just maybe your management routine. After living with chickens and gaining your own experience over time, you will discover for yourself any changes you may want to make in the future.

Typically, the space requirement for chickens is 4sf inside the coop and 10sf in the run per each bird. But if you have a completely secure run, there's no need for a locked pop door -they can have free access to go in and out as necessary... making your "run" basically turn into the 4sf per bird "coop" space. This isn't enough room for them to live comfortably all day every day, so you will have to let them out to the other space you have available... every day. That's how I manage my flock. As long as you have enough roost space (over 1 linear foot per bird), the enclosed coop will just become a "roosting" house -where they only sleep or lay eggs. I've found that my girls never hang out inside the coop during the day... ever... even though there's plenty of room in there. They just prefer to be outside.

As far as brooding chicks in your bedroom, well, everyone has to try that at least once! But I think you'll find after about 4 weeks, they'll be flying all over and making a huge dusty unbearable mess! You might want to consider setting them up inside your coop, since it's already built, and I think I see an extension cord for power to a heat source. Being outside will actually help them acclimate and feather out quicker when exposed to cool air, just as a broody hen allows her chicks to go running about in any weather... they just come running back for a moment when they need to warm up again. I would strongly recommend using a heating pad as a heat source instead of a heat lamp.
Kick The Heat Lamp: Better, Safer And Healthier Options To Heat Your Brooder
Raising Chicks Outdoors
You Certainly Can Brood Chicks Outdoors

Having a rooster would be a great asset if you expect to free range. A good roo will keep a lookout for predators, warn the flock to run to safety and some have been known to fight to the death protecting their girls. You do need to make sure he's a good one and doesn't mistreat or overbreed the ladies. Though, all free ranging does come with risks, and loss of birds can happen occasionally.
Here's an entertaining story:
Keeping A Rooster

I think you're off to a really great start. And if you want a little more reading material to help make sure your coop is in good working order...
Chicken Coop Ventilation - Go Out There And Cut More Holes In Your Coop!
How Much Room Do Chickens Need
Predator Proofing

flappyChicken.gif
Best wishes and good luck in your new chicken adventure!
HHolidays.gif

*edit* I just saw your brooder picture. You already have a heat plate!!! Awesome!

Just shifted the four day olds to a larger brooder. They are still inside, but now have a bit more room to spread their wings

. View attachment 1617592View attachment 1617593View attachment 1617594
Your chicks are adorable... and such a proud papa! Brooder looks great! :thumbsup
You might want to lift your waterer up onto a brick or something like that, especially when it's time to remove the potty pads.
The water will stay much cleaner that way (though somehow they always manage to kick up junk in it)

Thanks for the great advice.

I have a covered area adjacent to the coop where I can shift the brooder setup once they get a bit bigger. I think you are right that in a few weeks they may outgrow this setup. I have a heating plate that is adjustable for them as they grow. And also a ceramic heat lamp that will help them stay warm as well.

Back
Top Bottom