New chicken staying up on roost

BOs and Silkie

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
NJ
I have two buff opingtons and one silkie. I introduced the silkie to the orpingtons about two weeks ago. The pecking order is established, but the silkie stays up on the roost all day. Is there anyway I can get her to stay down? Thanks

Well, you should probably take her down and make sure she's eating and drinking....Maybe those orps have run her up there and she's intimidated. I don't know how you would keep her from roosting, unless you either took her outside into the chicken run.....Or caged her with some food and water.....

She'll get used to things and then start moving around more.....It takes time for a new chicken to get used to their new flock mates and surrounding.

Sharon

Does she have any place on the ground where she can escape from the BO's?
Maybe that is the only place she can get some peace.
Could you make an area that she can get to to get away from the others?
The buffs must be bigger than her, so make her a little area where they cannot fit through the door.

I had one new girl who did that for a couple of days. After the first day, I saw her sneak down and get a drink and bite, then right back up on the roost. She stayed up there for all but a few minutes a day, but at least I knew she wasn't on a hunger strike.

It took a few days, but she seems to be all integrated with the flock now. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom