New chickens and bad feet

TXSHERIE

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 30, 2009
I just bought 3 new chickens...sight unseen. They needed a good home. I notice something is wrong with their feet. I first thought they had poo stuck to there feet. It appears to be attached to the bottom of their toe nails and the center of the feet. More like a growth or something.
sad.png

I do not know what it is? How do I get rid of it?

Looks like they had/have bumblefoot. The black marks are scabs or callouses. Make sure there is no infection underneath. If the area is swollen, there likely is and you may need to treat by removing the scab and debriding, or using an antibiotic. If not, just watch their feet to make sure they don't get abrasions there. We put astroturf on our perches to help prevent bumblefoot. Good Luck, Lynn

I fear noone can truly help you if you can't post a pic... yes do wash it off (try soaking the feet for a couple minutes in some epsom salt and then with a soft toothbrush gently scrub then rinse > careful the birds dont drink the epsom mix!) then take pics and post... you will need to host them at photobucket or such to post the link directly here.

Back
Top Bottom