New chickens and second new coop

divinetm

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2021
Hi, I am Bonni from So. CA and this is my 4th round with chickens. The last time was in the eighties when I kept dairy goats (25 years) and Tibetan Mastiffs. My little farm is gone and I now have just a suburban backyard. Missing all my critters I decided to get some chickens again. I have had exotics in the past and way too many. This time around it is just me and my TM, Royce so I just have 2 chicks. They are Jersey Giants. In the past my father or I built our own coops but this time around with the price of wood I bought a kit. The first little house was really cute and I had it in an 18 foot run. The Jersey Giants out grew that really fast so now I just completed a nice 6 ft tall coop from Tractor Supply. It is a nice coop but needed some shoring up for strength and many custom additions to make life easier and more efficient. The coop came in raw wood so first I painted it inside and out to protect the wood. I have added chain to catch the drop nest box door so it can be a shelf when opened. On the back end I shored up the bottom with extra bracing and added wheels. On the front I placed two strong handles for when it is being moved. It came with one door handle for the little door but I added handles all around. I also installed a hook on the front near the hatch door to hang a cheap back brush from the dollar store to use when the door track gets jammed with shavings. The first night the chicks had trouble getting up the steep ramp so I added extra struts and now they get up just fine. I also coated the drawer with rubber paint to make it water proof. I hope you like my additions.

I am looking forward to learning more tips from all of you.

"cafemedia.com","segment":[{"id":"422"},{"id":"210"},{"id":"422"}],"ext":{"segtax":2}}]}},"device":{"w":1024,"h":677},"user":{"ext":{"eids":[{"source":"id5-sync.com","uids":[{"id":"ID5-ZHMOdMlHMZQCjON0NDy_TsXuOZLgqQIGwxWqKk_bRg!ID5*6NIeo8ZTFN0mmN8Pxq5vU_xfvdUgevrutFlGRpjViKoAAM3U7S0xRnk7hHyzH7Na","atype":1,"ext":{"linkType":2}}]},{"source":"pubcid.org","uids":[{"id":"fb4b1c55-2d8c-4107-8819-a9d9c674f7ea","atype":1}]},{"source":"adserver.org","uids":[{"id":"48336bbb-7418-4ae5-b6eb-308f25e79f67","atype":1,"ext":{"rtiPartner":"TDID"}}]}]},"data":[{"name":"cafemedia.com","segment":[{"id":"541"},{"id":"368"},{"id":"541"}],"ext":{"segtax":4}}]},"regs":{"ext":{"us_privacy":"1YNY"}}}null%2C%22rawCRBLocalStorage%22%3Anull%7D

Attachments

• chain to hold drop door.jpg
    chain to hold drop door.jpg
    654.8 KB · Views: 11
  • door.jpg
    door.jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 7
  • new coop.jpg
    new coop.jpg
    776.8 KB · Views: 6
  • wheels & extra support.jpg
    wheels & extra support.jpg