New chickens in Western NY

jcasey

Hatching
Jun 24, 2016
Fredonia NY
Hello All! We welcomed our first ever chickens about a month ago. This site has been so helpful. Thanks to everyone for sharing advise, tips, pics,... We started with 10 babies from Mypetchicken.Com - 2 each of RIR, Buff Orps, Leghorns, Australorps, Barred PR. All are healthy. They moved from a brooder box to the coop after a couple weeks as we've been having such nice weather. I had never heard of chicken math until I started reading posts here. I have to admit over dinner last night we started talking about trying some more!
Looking forward to learning from all of you.

A couple starter questions.. when should I add nesting boxes? Do they need grit for chick starter and a few treats like worms, cucumbers,..? Thanks,

Last edited:
Welcome to Backyard chickens. I think it's best to hold off on treats for awhile. Chicks are like children, if they get too many treats they turn up their nose at nutritious food. Even as they age, treats should not make up more than 10% of their total diet.

If you already have nest posts, close off the entrance till they are approaching point of lay. Otherwise they get into bad habits like sleeping in the nest boxes and using it as their toilet.

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. We all suffer from chicken maths - it's a chronic affliction and easier to embrace, rather than fight :)

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre 
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads. 

You may wish to consider joining your state thread  as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

Enjoy your new chicks!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I offer treats from when they are about a week old, but small amounts only. As DD said above, 90% of their diet should be formulated feed and yes, grit is necessary to help break down most of the treats yes. If they have access to soil outside they will get enough roughage from the soil though.

Hold off on the nest boxes until the ladies show signs of laying, then place a golf ball or two, or some fake eggs in the boxes to show them what it's for.

Hi there! Welcome! Sounds like you are on your way to success!
If you are interested in learning about my flock here at the Savage Farm, getting tips, and reading great stories, visit the link in my bio
smile.png
I share all kinds of crazy stories about my animals!

Back
Top Bottom