New chickens, new move and new to chickens

Scott Cimring

Hatching
May 24, 2017
I just started into the world of backyard chickens by getting 5 various breeds of hens. The are between 7 months and 11 months old and was told all are laying. I brought them home a few days ago and got 3 eggs first day and 2 eggs next day. I believe only 3 ladies have layed. The weather has been crappy with rain everyday since I got them and they are currently confined to the coop and small run. I'm feeding them organic pellets and black oil sunflower seeds with occasional corn snacks. They are eating well and have plenty of water. Although the run is covered, it is very muddy from them eating the grass coupled with rain. Can I attribute the lack of eggs due to new move or something else? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, the stress of moving and being in a new place will make them stop laying for a while. Once they get used to their new home and get good and settled in they will start to lay again. If your feed isn't layer feed, make sure they have some oyster shells available for when they need it for calcium. :welcome

Welcome to BYC!
Yes, the move will have stressed them, give them time.
You will learn so much here. Check out the 'Articles' section you'll find answers for almost every question....
Good luck!!

Welcome to BYC!
Yes, the move will have stressed them, give them time.
You will learn so much here. Check out the 'Articles' section you'll find answers for almost every question....
Good luck!!
Thanks Sue. I've been reading posts for the last week and they are awesome. Great group of people.

Yes, the stress of moving and being in a new place will make them stop laying for a while. Once they get used to their new home and get good and settled in they will start to lay again. If your feed isn't layer feed, make sure they have some oyster shells available for when they need it for calcium. :welcome
Thank you. The food is pellet layer feed and I just purchased oyster shells as well for added calcium.

Back
Top Bottom