New chickens' poop really stinks!

Birdielee

Songster
Apr 8, 2020
North Plainfield, NJ USA
Hi! I got 3 new chickens, 2 hens and a roo. I don't know their ages, but they seem to be full grown. Both hens lay. They appear to be Easter eggers. The birds themselves dont stink but their poop is awful. What is up with this?
Around other peoples' chicken areas, i get a chicken headache. My coop and run do not give me a headache. I do use sweet pdz in my coop.

These new birds' poop does give me a headache. Gaaah. It smells like diarrhea. One bird does have diarrhea (hen2) and i figured it was her poop that smelled so awful. But this morning i made a holding pen for them because they're quarantined still. It's a mini tractor, basically.
So i brought the roo and hen1 out to the pen and went back for hen 2. I was getting ready to put her in the pen and i smelled it.
I felt like puking. So instead of putting her in the run, i decided I'd better clean her up. I checked her out, and she seemed fine. I looked in the run and one of the other two had just gone to the bathroom. So i have diarrhea-bird and smelly-bird.

I don't have sweet pdz for their living situation. The store has no stock.

How long does it take for a new diet to make stenches change?

Is worms a probability?

Is there something in particular that i can give them to eat that will improve the smell? Activated Charcoal? Chlorophyll powder? Something.

They seem to have been basically neglected wherever they lived

Attachments

• 20200530_152416.jpg
    20200530_152416.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 92
How long have you had them?
What are you feeding them?

Don't give them charcoal or anything else but normal feed - see if the smell improves.
Stress, change in diet, etc. can affect poop.

It's not a bad idea to take some poop samples for testing to see if worms might be a problem. Good that you are keeping newbies away from your existing flock just so you can monitor their health for a few weeks.

I've only had them 1 week.
Unfortunately, my original hen's poop smelled similar today. Quarantine was going all right until my first hen got injured this week. They're still separate, but there have been a lot of escapes by the new chickens. Just today i finally got them contained decently. And I've tried to only go to my hurt hen with clean shoes, clothes, and hands, but I've messed up a few times. Especially with shoes.

I'm feeding them layer feed. When I first got them, i was fermenting the feed, but i started having mold on the fermented batches, so i abandoned that for the moment. I think the mold was because of the shell-on sunflower seeds i added for fun.

It was organic dumor grower feed the first day, then a combo of that, layena omega3 layer feed, and mostly some new stuff I bought. I forget the brand. It's organic soyfree layer pellets based on peas and grains. Has some fish in it.

They were stinkin when i got them. They appear to have been neglected

The feed i bought. Not the cause of the stinks. New country organics. The ingredients label says it's layer feed

Attachments

• 20200531_112159.jpg
    20200531_112159.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200531_112044.jpg
    20200531_112044.jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 12
Unfortunately, my original hen's poop smelled similar today
It was organic dumor grower feed the first day, then a combo of that, layena omega3 layer feed, and mostly some new stuff I bought. I forget the brand. It's organic soyfree layer pellets based on peas and grains. Has some fish in it.
The feed i bought. Not the cause of the stinks.

They were stinking when you got them, but now you notice your original hen's poop smelled similar as well?
You switched feed - I would investigate that as a possible cause.

Well my original hen has an excuse to be off, she got ripped open this week.

But I'm thinking if she really starts to stink like them, I'll figure the new ones infected her with something.

Back
Top Bottom