new chickens

QueenOfMyCoop

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
I took 3 bantam and 1 easter egger chickens from a friend that couldn't have them anymore. I already have 19 hens and 4 pekin ducks. i have had them separated by a fence from my other birds and then at night in the coop but also fenced off also.. how long should i do this for?? it's getting difficult with winter coming..

If you were looking to quarantine them, then the system you have will be entirely ineffective as any sort of disease or parasites will easily spread across the fence. If it’s just to get the two parties use to each other then you can try to introduce them at night after a week or two of being able to see each other (which I’m assuming they can in the set up you have).

If you were looking to quarantine them, then the system you have will be entirely ineffective as any sort of disease or parasites will easily spread across the fence. If it’s just to get the two parties use to each other then you can try to introduce them at night after a week or two of being able to see each other (which I’m assuming they can in the set up you have).
not quarantining them just want them to get them used to each other. its been about 2 weeks. i'm afraid they may fight at night.

not quarantining them just want them to get them used to each other. its been about 2 weeks. i'm afraid they may fight at night.

At night chickens are really calm - it’s best to introduce them in the dark. You’ll likely see them squabbling a bit during the day as the establish their hierarchy again, but this is normal. What kind of hens do you currently have?

At night chickens are really calm - it’s best to introduce them in the dark. You’ll likely see them squabbling a bit during the day as the establish their hierarchy again, but this is normal. What kind of hens do you currently have?
easter eggers, americauna, sex links, brown leg horn, amberlink, buckeyes, sebrights

easter eggers, americauna, sex links, brown leg horn, amberlink, buckeyes, sebrights

Okay, just watch that you don’t have any aggressive bullies since true laying hens (like leghorns) don’t have as docile personalities as some heritage breeds, which can make introductions more challenging. Introduce them at night and then watch them the next morning - remember that some picking on and chasing around is normal, but the introductees shouldn’t have any wounds. Just some picking on and the odd feather pulled out here and there. Also, make sure there are little booms and crannies for the new hens to hide if they want. Usually bullies won’t chase them into little hide outs or into the coop during the day. It’s all about having enough space to get away 😊

The sebright a won’t do anything, I think it’s the sex links you should look out for. I have some and they even peck on each other. The leghorns May peck but that’s just for pecking order. The sex links are aggressive when introduced to new birds(My experience).

The sebright a won’t do anything, I think it’s the sex links you should look out for. I have some and they even peck on each other. The leghorns May peck but that’s just for pecking order. The sex links are aggressive when introduced to new birds(My experience).

I’ve never had experience with sex links, but I have had aggressive leghorn hens in the past. All my chicken breeds right now are heritage and docile, so there’s very little trouble with introductions (even new cockerels).

I took 3 bantam and 1 easter egger chickens from a friend that couldn't have them anymore. I already have 19 hens and 4 pekin ducks. i have had them separated by a fence from my other birds and then at night in the coop but also fenced off also.. how long should i do this for?? it's getting difficult with winter coming..
A couple weeks at least.
Sounds like a good setup.

Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Back
Top Bottom