New chickens

Zipdot12

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2022
I have four 3 year old chickens and decided to add 3 more chickens to my flock. When the new ones were fully feathered and about 12 weeks old I put them outside in a separate cage with my older girls. I kept them in the cage for almost a month so the older ones would get to know them through the cage. Then I released the young ones in with the older ones and although every one is coexisting together well, the young ones are still very frightened of the older ones. No bullying is happening but the older ones chase the young ones away from the food and treats. I have added extra feeders so I know the new ones are getting fed. The three new ones always stick together and never mingle with the older ones. Can anyone tell me how long it takes until everyone is comfortable with each other and fully integrated.

It's impossible to give a definitive time as to how long the integration will take as all flocks are different. As long as the pecking is minimal they will eventually become one flock.
This^^^

The youngers won't fully integrate into the flock until after they start to lay.

Yes, all replies are good.
You did a great job integrating + extra feeders and waterers.

Integrating is more easy if they have plenty of room, roost space and hiding places. It depends on the characters as wel.

My Janice took a year to fully integrate. She was the only hen from 5 chicks and I couldn’t keep the cockerels. But with 3 pullets integrating should go easier.

Back
Top Bottom