new chicks and color question

mlove

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
tx
Out of 28 eggs that I incubated this is the only chick that made it. I have never seen such a crazy, hyper and aggressive little bird. The way it stomped on the 2 chicks that hatched (they passed) and played kick ball with all of the other eggs in the incubator reminds me of wild birds that push it's siblings out of the nest to their deaths so it can get all of the food. It lives in a brooder with silkies 4 days older then itself and it tries to bully them also.

Silver laced polish

49748_silkieandpolish4.jpg

I felt so sad about my hatch rate that I purchased a few silkie chicks.

Week old silkies
49748_silkieandpolish2.jpg

49748_silkieandpolish3.jpg

Three/Four week old silkies
49748_silkieandpolish1.jpg

Color questions: Does anyone know what color my yellow chick with the darker body in the second photo is? Also, a few of my chicks are supposed to be blue/partridge. What will they look like as adults? What color is the dark solid grey silkie in the last photo?
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
The yellow one will probably be white, though it could be buff. Blue partride is a brown with blue undertones, very pretty. And, it looks like the gray one is gray.

Such cute babies!

Quote:
Thank you! I tried looking up blue partridge silkie photos but can't find any.
sad.png

Last edited:
I had a buff silkie who passed on the second day home
hit.gif
and a white silkie who is still strong and healthy
fl.gif
(I think that's a crossed finger emoticon?) She's starting to get the white on her already and looks like your girl. MyPetChicken has some great shots on their site of each breed with pics of each breed as a chick. You could compare there. My buff was only a bit darker than my white at 3 days old, but it's been more apparent in just days as the white gets whiter.

Whillo, I'm sorry your baby passed.
sad.png
It's so sad when it happens to little chicks.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that mine turns out buff but either way it's cute.

Back
Top Bottom