New chicks and new rooster

🙋‍♀️ Welcome to BYC!
You have come to the right place! There are tons of people on here ready to help with whatever they can! Just ask!We all share the crazy addition to chickens and other animals!

They are cute!
For the babies the heating plate should be on the 4 legs so they can go under the heat, you can adjust the height to were it needs to be for their size, but it will give them better overall heat and less drafts. It also kinda mimics how they would go under mama for heat.

And if you haven't checked already,
The Learning Center
has some great articles to help you along the way!

Cant wait to see you around 🩵
Thanks!. I already switched because chicks were too hot and going away from the heater. Besides they are 5 weeks already and my garage is warm all the time. They are already trying to get out since we are in the 80s during the day and 60s at night. They are getting big!

Any tips on how I can take them out every day and get more sun? I have a hawk in my neighborhood and I was thinking on putting 2 or 3 chicks at a time in a smaller brooder box with a net covering the it. Any other suggestions?
I've got fish net. It came in a 100' roll and is 12.5 feet wide. It's not hard to build a small run with it over the top and chicken wire on the side of the walls. This is good for supervised outing. If you need to leave them unattended for more than a few minutes then a more predator proof run should be built with hardware clothe on the sides with an apron on the ground extending out a couple of feet to stop tunneling predators if you have them.

I've got fish net. It came in a 100' roll and is 12.5 feet wide. It's not hard to build a small run with it over the top and chicken wire on the side of the walls. This is good for supervised outing. If you need to leave them unattended for more than a few minutes then a more predator proof run should be built with hardware clothe on the sides with an apron on the ground extending out a couple of feet to stop tunneling predators if you have them.
Thanks! I'll get the fish net (hubby has one) so I'll work on getting the set up so I can take them out this week. It's gonna be always supervised so no worries.

Thanks!. I already switched because chicks were too hot and going away from the heater. Besides they are 5 weeks already and my garage is warm all the time. They are already trying to get out since we are in the 80s during the day and 60s at night. They are getting big!
Awesome! Yes as they get older they definitely dislike the heater here in FL!

Good idea @LTAY1946

Hello 👋
Newbie here.
Got a few chicks which are 4 weeks old already and now I got a 6 mo old rooster.
Have the chicks on a brooder set up in my garage (still in the 50s in central fl) so I am planning on moving them to the coop in about 2 weeks or so but I got a new (buff orpington as well) rooster today, which I placed already inside the coops to get it acclimated but I was told I cannot move the chicks until they are at least 6 weeks old.
I can keep the rooster outside the coop and inside the run so they can see each other but not be together at the beginning. Is this correct? What's the beat advice you can give me?
Pic of rooster and chicks
TIA for any guidance you can provide.
L.

View attachment 3780998

View attachment 3780997
GREEN WELCOME.gif
INTRO 76.jpg

Back
Top Bottom