New chicks coming....first timer here!

grullablue

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
We have quite a variety of critters around here, dogs, cats, horses, goats, donkeys, rabbits, and a Macaw, and I'm bringing some mixed breed chicks home the end of this week. They were hatched in my son's kindergarten classroom. I've always wanted a few chickens, just for pets...I had a few years ago...but got them as adults, these guys were just hatched last week.

Tomorrow I am going out to get everything I need for them, but I'm not exactly sure how many we'll be coming home with yet, so I may get just a large box with a screen for the top to use until I have a number.

I'm learning a lot on this site and taking notes as I'm reading! One thing I would like to ask...I plan to build a coop as they get older/larger, and am not sure, but am guessing roosters may fight? I have a neighbor who would like some chickens around her farm as well, so my question is, if I may have to worry about roosters arguing down the road, is there a way, early on, to sex them visually?

Thanks!
Angie

Our first chicks were rorm a school hatch last year, we got 4 chicks and 3 were roos! Apparently there are always more males than females. We still have the roos, they fought a little till they learned their order. We did go buy more adult hens to make the roo/hen ratio more even.
I don't think the roos will go to the neighbors to fight unless the properties are very close together.
Build a coop larger than what you need, because you will definitely want more (I have 11 in the coop, and 11 in the brooder).

Haha! Saw your name and went to your page!

Im in love with Grullas too!

Im sooooooo jealous of your mini grulla!!! I have been looking for one FOREVER...(so incase you need to ever sell...lol)
I read the story!

Here is my Grulla gelding..why they gelded him I dunno..I have his "cousin" and I know that they could have registered him AQHA, but gelded him and didnt! He has great primitive markings and a 2 tone mane too!

Silly people!!
"Scoundrel"
MoreAnimalPics1135.jpg

MoreAnimalPics1134.jpg

His cousin..APHA apricot dun overo "Ruca"
CIMG3158-2.jpg

Thanks for letting me share!

Back
Top Bottom