New Chicks Dropping Dead

DellaMyDarling

Songster
Dec 13, 2017
Mass Hilltowns
Got our meaty chicks from post office this AM.
This is the SECOND batch from Hoover's. The first batch was DOA.

The chicks were each carefully picked up, dipped in food and water, and herded underneath the heat plate.
As always, plain pine shavings fresh from bag.
Clean water from our well, that every animal and us drink.
Bag of feed was bought just last week and the meat turkeys haven't died eating it. Neither have the broody hens with their chicks.
They have been in an open air brooder for 2 hours.

Son is home. Called and said one chick drowned in the water.
Ugh. New to me. I've raised hundreds of birds with the same plastic screw onto Mason jar water trays.

He calls back a few minutes later and says as he stood there adding my suggested marbles into the water tray, 3 different chicks emerged from heat plate, stumbled around, flipped over, died.

Huh.
Am I missing something or totally bad batch of chicks?

Got our meaty chicks from post office this AM.
This is the SECOND batch from Hoover's. The first batch was DOA.

The chicks were each carefully picked up, dipped in food and water, and herded underneath the heat plate.
As always, plain pine shavings fresh from bag.
Clean water from our well, that every animal and us drink.
Bag of feed was bought just last week and the meat turkeys haven't died eating it. Neither have the broody hens with their chicks.
They have been in an open air brooder for 2 hours.

Son is home. Called and said one chick drowned in the water.
Ugh. New to me. I've raised hundreds of birds with the same plastic screw onto Mason jar water trays.

He calls back a few minutes later and says as he stood there adding my suggested marbles into the water tray, 3 different chicks emerged from heat plate, stumbled around, flipped over, died.

Huh.
Am I missing something or totally bad batch of chicks?
so sad, so sorry..were they too hot or too cold...

Shipping is so stressful on chicks, I had one die just from me personally going and picking them up 45 minutes away. However, you could try giving them all a little booster yourself. I do 1tsp ACV and 1tsp sugar in 4 cups water and then use a syringe and give each one just a few drops 2 times a day. I try to do it as quick and with as little handling as possible for the first week. Other than that, it sounds like everything is clean... probably just the stress unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom