New chicks/ feed problem

BrattishTaz

Roo Magnet
9 Years
Jan 8, 2011
Tampa Area, Florida
I got some new chicks today. I'm not even sure exactly how old they are. The breeder (a BYC member) mixed some chicks from different hatches and was unsure of dates....and breeds/mixes. Two are between 6 and 8 weeks old and have been put into their own section of the brooder. The others are younger and have started feathering out.

I went to the feed store to get medicated chick starter before I got the birds. I didn't notice until I went to use it that is labled simply as Manna Pro "poultry feed". The feed store is closed until Monday.
roll.png
Is it ok to feed this to them for a couple of days?

Yup. Just get them on the medicated feed when you can. You should also be feeding them medicated feed when they first go outside full time for a while, too. The amprolium doesn't do any good building their resistance to the cocci if they are not exposed to the real world.

Lots of people don't use medicated feed. I am not one of those people.

Thanks for the reply.
smile.png
I plan to keep them on the chick starter for a couple of months. They are in an outdoor brooder and came from an environment with many other birds. They seem healthy enough but are in quarantine for a while. I was just worried about the adult food not containing the nutrients they need or possibly being harmful to them. I gave them scrambled eggs and yogurt with some feed sprinkled in once they were settled.

FYI- Greek blueberry yogurt is not popular with chickens OR chicks.
hmm.png
I only have 1 roo that likes it.

Back
Top Bottom