New Chicks From Hatchery For Mama

For The Love of Peeps

Songster
8 Years
May 28, 2011
Kuna
Hello All,

Ok...So my hen's eggs still have not hatched.
sad.png
She has been setting anywhere from 25-35 days..give or take. I floated them. 1 sank to the bottom. The other 5 were "low floaters". (I was so in hopes they would have hatched by now).

I talked with a local hatchery also. They don't think the eggs developed. (They suggested I remove the eggs and let her start over or buy some chicks)
So my question is...I would like to buy her some chicks. The hatchery informs me the chicks can be new born. Have you had experience with giving a hen new chicks, and if so...do you introduce them to her at night?
idunno.gif

Thank you.

I havent, but have seen many posts saying tht you introduce them at night, just get them under there as fast as you can, and then leave... sorry i coudn't have been more help!

Rocko & Henrietta's Flock :

Hello All,

Ok...So my hen's eggs still have not hatched.
sad.png
She has been setting anywhere from 25-35 days..give or take. I floated them. 1 sank to the bottom. The other 5 were "low floaters". (I was so in hopes they would have hatched by now).

I talked with a local hatchery also. They don't think the eggs developed. (They suggested I remove the eggs and let her start over or buy some chicks)
So my question is...I would like to buy her some chicks. The hatchery informs me the chicks can be new born. Have you had experience with giving a hen new chicks, and if so...do you introduce them to her at night?
idunno.gif

Thank you.

She is probably so tired from setting for the entire 21+ days I wouldn't do that to her right away. Poor girl... I would however grab her six chickies and try them under her as long as she is currently sitting. If you took the eggs away from her I would hesitate unless she is still in the nest dreaming of becoming a mom
roll.png
Hope she get's her wish.

Oh, and yes, I would add them in a night. By the time morning comes around she should be bonded. Get to her when the sun rises just to be sure though.​

Last edited:
NottinghamChicks & Chick15,

Thank you so much for your replies. Yes, she has got to be sooo exhausted. She has been so committed. That's why I would rather just get some for her. If nothing has changed by tomarrow, I will get some for her. I will let you know how it turns out.

Ok...So her eggs were not at all developed. "Runny...Starting to Smell". I Removed Them From Her & She Became Very Upset. Her little heart is broken...(I'm Sorry)
sad.png
She will not leave the spot she had the eggs.

I introduced new 6-4 day old chicks
jumpy.gif
to her last night and she would have nothing to do with them and pecked them, when they tried to get near her. The rooster actually did better than she did! He was showing them the food, and "calling them over to it", but when he saw her pecking them if they got close...he did too.

So I made them a little box that they could take shelter in for the night, as she would have nothing to do with them. I checked this morning (just getting light) and they are either in the box or under her. I don't see any injured or dead.

My question is...so should I have made them the little box...so they they could take shelter? Or should I have just let "Mother Nature" take it's course & "hoped she would let them under her and not injure them"?

I will post update & pics a little later today.

Sounds as though it was not fully dark when you put them out so perhaps momma was thrown off a bit. She was also pretty upset by the removing of the eggs, but where she was broody she should warm up to them. I think that it should be fine, but waiting for your update. Fingers crossed for you and the babies.

Broody Mama NOT Excepting New Chicks....So Frustrated....
barnie.gif
. So to continue the story...Her eggs were bad. I removed them from her & got her 6-4 day old chicks. She was understandably very upset that I removed her eggs. She sat in her "nest" for about 4 hrs and then went out to free range. She will not let the chicks even get close to her. I was hoping she would "warm up" to them today. The rooster was actually doing better than her at first, but yesterday afternoon he was trying to pull them out of their little "shelter box" and peck them. I brought them in to sleep last night.
hide.gif

I should have waited until the middle of night to try & slip them under her. I don't know. I was afraid I would wake up to mayham....
sad.png
I am going to partition off the coop, and let the chicks have their own side today. I was so in hopes she would love these little chicks, after she worked soo hard trying to hatch her own.
hit.gif

I will post pics today.

Back
Top Bottom