New chicks have missing tail feathers infected looking under vent!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by juneacres, Mar 1, 2015.

1. juneacres

juneacres Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2015
    California
    Help please! We just received two baby chicks, and at first glance I thought they had past butt then I ran under warm water and noticed it seems to be much worse. Here's a few photos I have no idea what it is or what to do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. juneacres

Feb 28, 2015
    California
    Not sure if we should bring them back or if there's something I can do at home or is this just a bad start and they won't be healthy?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

It looks like they had some sort of problem around their navels. Are they healthy now? You could put neosporin or castor oil on the scabs until they fall off.

4. juneacres

Feb 28, 2015
    California
    Thank you so much for the reply, this was just last night so I'm not really sure if they are getting better or not at this point. I was concerned with how much down is missing as well. I will try the Neosporin.

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

It actually looks like it is healing on it's own. I suggested helping it heal faster so any scab picking wouldn't start. The down will be replaced by pin feathers in no time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by