New chicks...I need some feed help""UPDATE WITH PIC"S pg #2

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CritterCatcher, Mar 6, 2011.

1. CritterCatcher

CritterCatcher In the Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    Hastings, Ontario
    hi
    well i have chicks that hatched yesterday...i let them dry and moved them to the brooder they have water in the brooder but i need to pick up some chick starter tomorrow....what can i feed them today.. as i cant get feed till monday...I know there should be ok for a bit with just water,but if i have somthing here i can give them to eat ...well at least i would feel better...(there laying chicks)
    CC

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    When that happened to me, I broke up a little layer and gave them that. I didn't think they would get so much calcium in one day that it would harm them.

3. CritterCatcher

Aug 30, 2010
    Hastings, Ontario
    i dont have layer feed ...never had layers before...just MEATYs and well not at this time of year....the thing i have is here is rabbit pellets...was wondering about the pellets crushed up would be ok for a day...
    `

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    What about some frozen vegetables? Or you could even try canned ones, but they have a lot of salt in them.

5. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Quote:Soak your rabbit pellets in water, until it kind of like mush. It would be great for your chicks.

6. CritterCatcher

Aug 30, 2010
    Hastings, Ontario
    i have lots of frozen vegies.....what were you thinking...thaw and mash up???

7. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Quote:The vegies will thaw very rapidly once they are out of the freezer, so I think that with a course chop, that the chicks would be willing to eat them. Don't put a lot into the brooder until you know that they will eat it. I wouldn't try more than about 1/4 cup to about 1/2 cup max at first.

8. CritterCatcher

Aug 30, 2010
    Hastings, Ontario
    thanks you..very much...this is my first hatch...lol:cool:
    CC

9. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

Hard boiled eggs. Mush them up.

10. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I did a little research. One person suggested feeding mashed hard boiled egg and broken up breakfast cereal the first day, which I would do only if the cereal wasn't full of sugar. If you keep oatmeal you could run it through a blender and use that, no need to cook. One fellow says he routinely feeds his chickens a mixture of rabbit food and scratch -- these are evidently mature chickens. Certainly you could feed egg. They really should have some form of grit if you feed veggies; a little sand is fine. Some kinds of people food should be fine -- seems like mashing up a bit of a leftover casserole, for example, would work. Perhaps offer a few different things and see what they will eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: