New chicks in South Mississippi!

kerusnak

Chirping
8 Years
May 2, 2015
South Mississippi
I've been stalking the forum for months awaiting the day we finally decided to get chickens! We moved to MS from central FL in the fall and the house we bought had some established coops on the side of the workshop/warehouse and that's when I decided we should raise chickens. We have about 4 acres and I'm also starting my garden. We just got our babies today from our local farm supply store and they are doing great! We got 6 black beauty sex links and I'm glad I read up on normal chick behavior or I'm sure I'd be much more anxious then I am now.

The store was out of pine shavings so my husband ran down to tractor supply to grab some.

Still got some work to do to fix up the coops but we have some time
smile.png

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Black Sex Links are my favorite chickens as they are friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. You should get loads of large, brown eggs from those 6 girls. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Black Sex Links.

Hello.. I am also in south mississippI and new to byc too. Enjoy your babies. Mine were shooed out of the coop for the first time today. Getting them all back in for the night was crazy. I ended up using a landing net. The holes are so big their little heads got caught. Will need to get one with much smaller holes. I am in the Pass.

Last edited:
Hello.. I am also in south mississippI and new to byc too. Enjoy your babies. Mine were shooed out of the coop for the first time today. Getting them all back in for the night was crazy. I ended up using a landing net. The holes are so big their little heads got caught. Will need to get one with much smaller holes. I am in the Pass.

I'm close to Pass we are in Lizana off Highway 53.

I've been stalking the forum for months awaiting the day we finally decided to get chickens! We moved to MS from central FL in the fall and the house we bought had some established coops on the side of the workshop/warehouse and that's when I decided we should raise chickens. We have about 4 acres and I'm also starting my garden. We just got our babies today from our local farm supply store and they are doing great! We got 6 black beauty sex links and I'm glad I read up on normal chick behavior or I'm sure I'd be much more anxious then I am now.

The store was out of pine shavings so my husband ran down to tractor supply to grab some.

Still got some work to do to fix up the coops but we have some time
smile.png
Welcome! Awesome looking coops! I have coop-envy! Lots of room there. I'm in South Mississippi as well. I know not one neighbor! We have been here about a year, so this is my "neighborhood". This has been a wonderful site for information and camaraderie.

Back
Top Bottom