New chicks just arrived, one in bad shape need advice

wisecane

Chirping
Aug 9, 2022
I just received my order from Hoovers.

10 Calico princess and 5 sapphire olive egger females

the sapphires are noticeably smaller and upon opening the box we discovered one that was in bad shape.

smallest chick and looked to be crushed/suffocated. The chick was breathing and weak so we held her under the lamp to warm her up and used a syringe to give her water and a little honey.

She is very weak but doing a little better and looks stronger. We made a nest out of paper towels and have her isolated but still under heat.

What can we do to try to continue to save her?

Our first batch and I'm all ears!

Keeping her near her hatch mates got the noise. Alternatively, playing YouTube videos with sound of momma hens is also good (but so many have human voices or tons of traffic in the background -still can find some good ones). The sounds are encouraging to the chicks.

We always provide NutriDrench vitamins (poultry liquid vits) to new chicks and then again to any lagging chicks. Make sure eating/drinking.

Make sure it’s warm and draft free.

May lose the chick so make sure to know Hatchery policy (number of days) to get refunded. Good luck.

Not every chick is meant to make it. Some hatch with birth defects or have accidents. Something just went wrong. So don't blame yourself if it doesn't make it but that doesn't mean you don't try.

I think you are doing everything right. Keep it warm but don't overheat it. Some people buy electrolyte mixes for them, some just use sugar water. I use hummingbird liquid because I always have it on hand. Your honey water should work. The idea is to keep it hydrated and give it something that gives it extra energy so it can eat and drink on its own. I would not worry about nutrients in general right now, just getting energy into it.

I put a drop of the liquid on the tip of its beak so it can swallow it. I do not put the medicine dropped I use in its mouth or down its throat so I don't drown it. I've treated mature hens this way when they are not doing well.

I like the idea of keeping it near the other chicks. If it makes it then it will imprint on something pretty soon. I'd prefer that to be the other chicks. They are social animals, the noise and activity of the other chicks can comfort it. Sometimes the other chicks can pick on a weak or injured chick, just like adults can do to others. Keep an eye out for that behavior. If necessary maybe you can make a small basket out of hardware cloth to set over it for protection or use one of those mesh baskets berries often come in.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Too weak, she didn't make it.

She was mashed in there pretty good when we opened the box.

The other 14 are doing great though.

Like I said, the sapphires were noticeably smaller/weaker. I think they are a day or so younger than the calicos.

Thank you for the great advice!

Update-

Now have lost four (two of each type). The rest are looking pretty good. We did use a water supplement right away. It wasn't nutri-drench but flock fixer. It said was good from hatch to lay.

The other 11 are bouncing around like jumping beans lol. A joy to watch them.

I'll try to replace them when TSC has chick days.

No response yet from Hoover's and I've tried to call several times today already. From the things I'm seeing here today, I imagine they are swamped with calls.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom