New chicks!! lots of pics!! Silkies!!

They're so cute!!!!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif

Last edited:
Oh, those silkies sure are pretty!!
thumbsup.gif
Was this the first time you incubated silkies?? Did you have any problems during hatch-out? I have my first ever silkie eggs in the bator now.... 1 silkie and 2 silkie/slw...I am SO nervous. I've heard stories that they can be hard to hatch-out, drowning and stuff like that. I also heard they have an earlier hatch-date? some say day 19. Is this true? Is their lockdown date different than the usual day 18? My day 18 for these will be Friday, August 27th. Do I leave that my lockdown day, or move it up? Like I said, I have been extremely nervous this go-round. I have only candled 3 times, so as to not disturb them overly, and have been especially gentle with them. Humidity has been a pretty constant 40% with a temp of 99F. Any advice??

Oh, for pity's sake, they are absolutely adorable. I don't particularly want silkies (too many hawks for smaller chickens), but they make me rethink my opinion. Especially that one that looks like a blue/cream (cat colors, don't know what the chick colors are)
lol.png

Quote:
This was my first time with silkies. I did lose quite a few, but I also had problems with one of my incubators so we'll blame it on that. Still, my hatch rate hovered around the 50% mark, which is pretty standard for shipped eggs! Only a few small problems with some smaller and weaker babies that didn't make it out, but the rest came out peeping up a storm and no worse off than the big chickies.
smile.png

I am happy I hatched my silkies myself, even though I didn't get as many as I would have liked due to my incubator troubles - I am not expecting 'show' quality, as I can't see myself showing chickens (no offense to those who do, it's just too much work for me!) but I think by getting eggs I can get nicer quality than a hatchery would send for the most part. I love em! One little black one is SO tiny and others are close to normal chick size. Should be interesting to see how they grow out. I had planned to rehome a few as I have 13 (!) but I am waiting until they are bigger.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom