new chicks new parents!

Harleychicks

Chirping
Jun 18, 2015
Poplarville, Mississippi
What is an acceptable loss rate for chicks? Our brooder is 7x7 with tarp as a base covered with pine shavings,as recommended by a chick that has chicks at Tractor supply. We are losing about 1 every other few days. We keep a heat lamp on at night.Temps around 80°.Bedding is clean. I wash out the water and food trays 2 times a day. Just wondering

Last edited:
Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on your new chicks :celebrate What breed/s did you get? I love raising chicks it's lots of fun and a very rewarding experience. I'm sure you too will enjoy it very much. Have you stopped by the learning centre? Lots of super articles on raising them to be happy and healthy birds. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck with them in the future. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy those new babies and BYC :frow

Welcome to the forum and congrats on being a new parent. Don't be afraid to ask questions here and peruse for information.

Lovely mix there, you should have some great egg layers. Have food available at all times for them. Fresh water too. All my chickens, adults and chicks have food available at all times. This way there is no gorging on food causing crop problems for them.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Yorkshire coop has given you some good advice. Both of your breeds (technically RSLs are hybrids and not a breed) are excellent layers and Red Sex Links are laying machines. You should get lots of large, brown eggs from those girls. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined the flock, and good luck with the new chicks!

Thanks for that. Guess I better refill the scratch, 2nd quart today. They have been eating all day with small breaks to drink water. I can tell this is gonna be fun already

You need to severely limit the amount of scratch you give them as scratch should be used only for an occasional treat, and treats should constitute less than 10% of a chicken's diet. Too many treats (including scratch) will make your chickens fat and unhealthy and will cause a reduction in their laying rate. There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/feeding-chickens-at-different-ages.html on feeding chickens at different ages.

Back
Top Bottom