New chicks, seperate or leave with others?

gnarlytoes

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 13, 2014
We have two hens in a 4x8 chicken tractor. One went broody, so I got a few fertilized eggs for het to set. I thought they should hatch next week. This morning my wife came in screaming that eggs were missing and busted. Went out and the hen was crouched on the ground with four chicks under her. I got the chicks out for now, but was wondering if it would be OK to leave them or would the other hen kill them?

Mom will protect them. My broody mamas are relentless and now all my other adult chickens run when one of the chicks comes near them because they know what happens. I think it’s way easier if you leave them be if the mom is taking good care of them. In the future you won’t have to worry about integrating.

Mom will protect them. My broody mamas are relentless and now all my other adult chickens run when one of the chicks comes near them because they know what happens. I think it’s way easier if you leave them be if the mom is taking good care of them. In the future you won’t have to worry about integrating.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking and hoping for. I grew up on a farm where we raised and kept around 200 hens for eggs, but we always bought chicks and raised them separate and just replaced the flock every few years. Haven't had experience with a hen hatching them out before.

I have them in a large pet carrier with mama at the moment. The only other problem I see with leaving them in there is how to get them off the wet ground when it rains since it will be a while before they can reach the roost or nest boxes. I'm thinking I can build a small nest box and place it in there for them to get in. Luckily today is my day off work.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking and hoping for. I grew up on a farm where we raised and kept around 200 hens for eggs, but we always bought chicks and raised them separate and just replaced the flock every few years. Haven't had experience with a hen hatching them out before.

I have them in a large pet carrier with mama at the moment. The only other problem I see with leaving them in there is how to get them off the wet ground when it rains since it will be a while before they can reach the roost or nest boxes. I'm thinking I can build a small nest box and place it in there for them to get in. Luckily today is my day off work.
I think it is so entertaining to watch a mother hen with her babies and how they interact with them. A couple of my friends just hatched some through our local 4H and theirs are so friendly but they are keeping them in a brooder box in the house. Mine however are not as friendly but much more well rounded as chickens if that makes sense.Mine are four weeks old and it’s nice to watch them during the day foraging with their mothers and take a little dust bath. I have built some little perches in their Daytime enclosure and they are already getting up on those during the day time. We are putting in a small perch in the Coop this weekend because I’ve noticed that the little ones are not sleeping under mom anymore and are choosing to lie beside her. I know the time is coming when she is going to push for them to be on their own and that makes me a little sad.

20200604_090953.jpg

Look at that! It looks like things are going well so far. We have four buff Orpington‘s and they make really good mothers. I have to admit buff Orpington‘s are my favorites! I said you have a dog that wants to get in there with the chickens as well… I have two that would love to get into the chicken coop.

Back
Top Bottom