New Chicks - This might be fun!

escape

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
I brought home 7 chicks from TSC yesterday. 3 Red Sex Links (pullets) and 4 Pullets.

I'd done a lot of research and knew what I wanted when I got there... all that went out the window because they didn't have Sussex. Just bins of Reds or Pullets.

Once I was standing in front of the bins, I didn't care what I got. I was taking some home!

I've figured out what the "Reds" are. Am I right in guessing that the "Pullets" are a grab bag?

When I got them home and put them in the brooder, six settled down fairly quickly, but one of the pullets was peeping loud and long. I finally picked her up and cuddled her in my hands and she went to sleep. I let her sleep for about a half hour and then set her back in the brooder. She drank and ate with the others and settled in just fine.

I couldn't pull myself away! Horses got fed late. Hubby got fed later.

I think I'm really going to like being a chicken "mommy". I'm looking forward to all the help I can get at BYC. Thanks in advance!

Enjoy your new babies!
Yes, they are very entertaining.
It's hard to pull yourself away.
I got my first 12 chicks from TSC a few years ago (Black Australorps, Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, EE's).
They're still my babies.
big_smile.png

Thanks.

I never expected to be this intrigued with just sitting and watching them. I have the brooder in the tack room and it takes up most the space. I was able to squeeze a chair in there so I can be comfy while I get lost in watching them.

Back
Top Bottom