1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicks- what gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kaylafaith8, Mar 4, 2017.

1. kaylafaith8

kaylafaith8 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2016
    Could anyone help to tell the gender of these chicks? . The leghorn and both sex links are supposed to be pullets, other 3 are straight run.
    Welsummer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Black sex-link
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Red sex-link
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Leghorn
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Silver sebright bantam
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Golden sebright bantam
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    So, there's no way to tell by the wing feathers, that's not going to help at all. They are all too young to tell aside from vent sexing. The red sex link is a pullet, though, because of its color. If the black one truly is a black sex link, then it's a cockerel, because it has a head spot. The rest, there's no way to tell, you'll just have to wait and see.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

4. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

X3. Also fairly certain your "Golden Sebright" is a Buff Brahma bantam. [​IMG]

~Alex

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    And I wanted to add that the bottom one is not a golden sebright, not with those feathered legs.

6. kaylafaith8

kaylafaith8 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2016
    @Pyxis @Alexandra33 yeah I really wasn't sure what that chick was, and it looked like the sebright chicks. I don't know they couldn't have feathered legs! Thanks!

7. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

You're more than welcome! [​IMG] That's still a great breed, even if not what you expected. I have a Buff Brahma bantam about the same age as yours - it's precious. [​IMG]

~Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by