New chicks.

Newly hatched chicks need heat...If huddled up ? They are cold...Chicks can suffer from starve out if to much time is spent keeping warm....Happy Chicks hop around eating and drinking , softly peeping.....

News paper is not recommended for chicks...Put in pine shavings....

Best of luck......

Cheers!
Well, after going in there this a.m. we did notice that their droppings were all over, so they most definitely aren't staying in the corner all the time. I also watched them for a bit, and they are going over to feeder and waterer plenty, so I think they are just huddling when they sleep. I will definitely keep a close eye on it though. And yes, we pulled out the newspaper and put in some aspen. Thanks for the info!

Newly hatched chicks need heat...If huddled up ? They are cold...Chicks can suffer from starve out if to much time is spent keeping warm....Happy Chicks hop around eating and drinking , softly peeping.....

News paper is not recommended for chicks...Put in pine shavings....

Best of luck......

Cheers!

Well, after going in there this a.m. we did notice that their droppings were all over, so they most definitely aren't staying in the corner all the time.  I also watched them for a bit, and they are going over to feeder and waterer plenty, so I think they are just huddling when they sleep.  I will definitely keep a close eye on it though.  And yes, we pulled out the newspaper and put in some aspen.  Thanks for the info!

No problem....enjoy those little Birds!.......;)

Cheers!

... Also, I was wondering if I should put something in there for them to perch on? Do chicks that young like to perch?

We put a couple of 1/2" sticks on 1" risers screwed to a scrap of 1x4 in the brooder. Our chicks are about 1-1/2 weeks old. They roost, and seem to enjoy having some variety to their environment. We just added the second stick today, and it's a big hit. They jumped on it immediately. (Which is quite the contrast from when we introduced the first stick originally - they stayed on the other side of the brooder for an entire day to avoid "the new thing.")

Back
Top Bottom